No Power to Pump or Filter

I think that they are indicating that there is no input power.

1690390407631-png.517203

Based on recent reports, electricians in New Jersey do not seem to be all that good.

Maybe they are just sending out unqualified temp help.

Just because you call an electrician or HVAC company, it does not mean that the person who is sent out is actually licensed or qualified in any way even if the business is licensed.
I have two friends and a grandson that are electricians. Despite trying to explain a pool's electrical system to them, they still don't understand a pool or how automation works. Not that they couldn't, but it takes "hands on" to really see how stuff works. VSP are a mystery to them, "The pump has power, why won't it run?" Probably the same in Jersey and everywhere else.
A third friend that is an electrician is also a pool electrician, he wires pools for several builders.
He tells me that when working on pools the entire thought process has to be different because of the mix of 120V, 240V, low-voltage all in one unit. He can troubleshoot systems and has had me do the repairs as I am a pool electrician only (wouldn't even think about working on someone's home) and I have access to the parts he doesn't.

In my opinion, probably about 50% of all work is done by unlicensed and unqualified helpers and apprentices.

Part of the problem is that customers have no idea what qualifications exist, what qualifications mean, what qualifications are required etc. and they have no idea what qualifications the people who show up actually have.

Companies might have a trade contractor business license and a licensed tradesperson, but they often do not have enough qualified tradespeople, so they hire anyone who will show up and they send them on service calls knowing that the customer will never ask if the person is qualified.

Most customers just assume that anyone who shows up must be fully qualified, licensed, bonded, insured etc., right?

Wrong!

50% of the time it is a person who was hired two weeks ago and they have zero real experience and their last job was working for McDonald’s making French Fries.

In my opinion, probably about 50% of all work is done by unlicensed and unqualified helpers and apprentices.

Part of the problem is that customers have no idea what qualifications exist, what qualifications mean, what qualifications are required etc. and they have no idea what qualifications the people who show up actually have.

Companies might have a trade contractor business license and a licensed tradesperson, but they often do not have enough qualified tradespeople, so they hire anyone who will show up and they send them on service calls knowing that the customer will never ask if the person is qualified.

Most customers just assume that anyone who shows up must be fully qualified, licensed, bonded, insured etc., right?

Wrong!

50% of the time it is a person who was hired two weeks ago and they have zero real experience and their last job was working for McDonald’s making French Fries.
Unfortunately, you are very right. Even in California, where anyone doing work of $500.00 or more must be a licensed contractor, because there is no enforcement, too many aren't. Apparently that "must" is more of a suggestion. And it is very hard to do any other than the most trivial work on a pool for less than $500.00 any more.

Go to a pool to troubleshoot an electrical issue and pick yourself up after touching a green wire that you trace back and find it has been wired to a black in a junction box. Try to figure out why a customer's light keeps blowing up the bulb (literally) only to find the "electrician" that was doing work on the home said he could wire the system and hooked it to 240V. Why does the control on that new heater keep burning up? Oh, they installed the 120V plug instead of the 240V. Just a few of the things seen.

Yes, it is basic stuff that an electrician should be able to figure out, but few take the time or are willing to say, "I don't know how to do that" for fear of losing the job.

Reactions: JamesW
LOL at NJ electricians.

Took my dad and I several hours, but we figured it out. It was the GFI switch that went bad. The part circled in red.

Attachments

• IMG_1060 2.jpg
    IMG_1060 2.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 15
Nice. :goodjob:

Glad you got it figured out and that you didn't buy an expensive new board only to find out that the original board was still good.

Last edited:
Reactions: wyckoffpool
That's what I like to hear. The typical guy doesn't diagnose but keeps throwing different parts at it hoping one should land on the problem and the last part which can be a 59 cent toggle turns out to be bad and with a diagnosis could have been found.
Just diagnosed a mastertemp heater that a pool tech said "it's shot" I got called in on this, diagnosed the problem to be the ignition module, fetched one out of my truck used which I had sitting two seasons and the shot heater is cranking away.

Last edited:
I really think he didn't know where to begin so this was his best and most convenient diagnosis I guess hoping to do a new install, probably was going to offer the service charge deduction with a new install tactic.

That's what I like to hear. The typical guy doesn't diagnose but keeps throwing different parts at it hoping one should land on the problem and the last part which can be a 59 cent toggle turns out to be bad and with a diagnosis could have been found.
Just diagnosed a mastertemp heater that a pool tech said "it's shot" I got called in on this, diagnosed the problem to be the ignition module, fetched one out of my truck used which I had sitting two seasons and the shot heater is cranking away.
My wife wonders constantly why I keep those parts. She doesn't understand how much time they have saved me over the years and how happy a customer is to get "whatever" repaired in one trip.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As an aside, my dad has spent a lot of time helping me with this situation.. I will help him with his pool later today which needs a bit of work, and since I now have the TF-100!

My dad is older and doesn't have the ability to upkeep, I am going to post under my user name and asterisk/bold his equipment and pool parameters instead of creating a new user name... Hope the awesome TFP crew can help out. Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.