Bski224

Jan 18, 2016
Long island NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi guys my pool water has become cloudy now due to the storm knocking out power and no filter running now for 3 days going on 4. Is there anything I can do to help the situation to treat without a filter going??? Just looking for some ideas. My FC as of last night was 5. CYA is about 50-55. Thanks in advance

Get some liquid chlorine in there and mix it around with a brush or broom.

Addendum- I see you're already cloudy..... More liquid chlorine! I'd raise your FC level up to SLAM level, mix in well then shut your autocover and deal with it when the power returns.

Maddie

Add chlorine as needed. Mix in with your pool brush or boat/kayak paddle. Or rent a submersible pump from Home Depot (or buy one from Amazon for now and future use). Put it in the deep end and the end of the output hose in the little end. Plug it into a GFCI outlet. Take it out before anybody gets in the water.

Hey Mods,

Poor person does not have power, thanks for telling him to run and autocover (there might be a manual way to shut the autocover), and plug in a submersible pump. :poke:

Reactions: Yev
Oh Kato, Kato, Kato...... YOU try helping as many folks as want help and you'll slip on some of the deets, too! :laughblue:

Actually there IS a way to open the cover without power, as SKippy just had to do it. Lightening has taken out the motor to our autocover and Skippy managed it easily. We learned how on Youtube. Basically there is a collar with two bolts which detaches the motor from the cover spindle on one side, the other side has a 1/2 inch fitting for a socket wrench and you put the wrench in to the spindle and then he used a PVC pipe as leverage and cranked slowly back and forth. Worked a charm! The wrench has two settings so you set it so its pulling the cover open. We haven't figured out how to close it without power....YET!?

And my relatives up there all have generators so they have to be selective in what they run..... a fast shut of the cover shouldn't be a problem?

Thanks for keeping me honest. :sneaky:

Maddie

Throw about 3 or 4 thriclor tabs in a floater. Not a huge amount of CYA increase, and will keep a minimum amount of FC for you.

For mixing, pump like this is awesome.

long power cord, hooks up to garden hose. Pump in deep, hose to shallow.

Or old school. If you have a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with popol water, dump it into pool. Repeat over and over as fast as possible for about a few minutes. YOu can really caise waves and flow in teh pool.

Throw about 3 or 4 thriclor tabs in a floater. Not a huge amount of CYA increase, and will keep a minimum amount of FC for you.

For mixing, pump like this is awesome.

long power cord, hooks up to garden hose. Pump in deep, hose to shallow.

Or old school. If you have a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with popol water, dump it into pool. Repeat over and over as fast as possible for about a few minutes. YOu can really caise waves and flow in teh pool.
There is no power, no electricity available. Unless the power cord is long enough to reach a neighbor with a generator it won't help. A floater without circulation will not help either.
The best solution is to add enough chlorine to bring the pool to slam level and brush the pool. Do this daily until power is restored. Once power is back on you will probably need to complete the slam process.

yep, sometimes my brain is not paying attention. FOr me, I would use a floater with a few tabs so you never drop to zero, add liquid as needed. And use the 5 gallon bucket rapid fill and dump back into pool if you need aggressive mixing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, just some good natured fun. I was really trying to poke Dirk more. :party:

I am prepared to take my punishment!! :whip:
Here it comes... We gave several suggestions to allow the OP to select which works best for his situation. Some needed power, some did not. Yes, he was out of power, but I did not assume he couldn't get some. A generator, or an inverter off a car battery come to mind. If I had a pool and lived in an area that was prone to long power outages, I would be prepared for that. I suggested the rental pump because while it might be tough to run a big pool pump off of some sort of alternate power source, the OP might have a better shot using a smaller HP pump. :pth:

Reactions: Katodude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.