No one wants to do my handrails.

chia9876

Jul 20, 2020
Swansea, Ma
Pool Size
We have a 20x40 vinyl inground pool installed last fall. Because it was getting cold, it was decided to do the patio in the spring time so the ground can settle and have the pavers installed in the spring. Problem is, I have handrails that need to be installed and the pool builder is saying he doesn't do it it's the mason's job and the mason is saying he doesn't do it it's the pool's builders job. Who should be doing this? I have the cups and handrails, I just need to have it cemented in and bonded, I don't care who does it. The mason will be putting a cement collar around the pool for the coping and I figured that's when it should get installed but he says no, he has never done it, it's always the pool installer.

What advice does anyone have? Who usually does it. I'm in Massachusetts.

What does your contracts say with the PB and Mason? Who did you buy the handrails from? I would think the PB would set up the handrails before the Mason finishes his work. However, depending on the scope of work the mason is doing it may be more appropriate for them to set up the anchors.

Reactions: chia9876
Since the cups are going to be in the patio I would stay the mason should do them, but placement should be dictated by the PB and you. And the bonding should be done by the PB or electrician. I would also guess an AHJ has to inspect the bonding before the mason can put the patio in.

When I had the patio around my pool redone last year, the mason did all this work. But I also got some resistance from them. Once they were provided with clear instructions it was fine.

For the cups to function as they are intended, they need input from the PB, electrician and mason. PB needs to say where to put them, electrician needs to make sure them are bonded and the mason needs to make sure they are securely mounted. I would not think an electrician would be proficient at making sure the are set securely o hold a handrail. Connecting the bare copper wire to the cup is just tightening a screw and making sure the wire is connect to the other bonding wires which should already be coming from the pool and pool pump. If there is an rebar or wire mesh in the patio that is also bonded.

Once you understand what bonding is, it's pretty simple. Think of it like a ground wire, but not being connected to a ground on any service equipment. It's just a wire used to eliminate the possibility of any of the metal in the ground (including the pool structure) around the pool from being at a different voltage potential. If everything around the pool is at the same voltage there is no risk of shock from stray voltage. All the voltage/power supplied to pool equipment is isolated from Bonded equipment and protected by GFCI.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.