No More Salt Water---Looking for Chlorine System due to rust

kirkbie

Mar 31, 2020
Northern Virginia
Hello,

We went ahead and ordered another Intex 26x52 pool. I'm tired of tearing these down due to the rust from the salt water systems. Can someone recommend a good but inexpensive chlorine delivery system? My wife absolutely doesn't want to use chlorine but like I said....the rust. OR...is there a system that anyone knows of that won't rust out the pool prematurely? Thanks.

The salt water is not the cause of your rust. The cheap materials and the corrosive natural environment are what are causing the rust.

I had this with my AGP and it worked well, uses Liquid. Now my inground uses SWG and I am happy with it.

John

First, Welcome to TFP!

You do understand that a salt water pool is really a chlorine pool, right? While lots of people want ot blame the "salt" for the damage to some pools, many times it's the products themselves and their construction methods and quality of materials that cause the damage.

First, Welcome to TFP!

You do understand that a salt water pool is really a chlorine pool, right? While lots of people want ot blame the "salt" for the damage to some pools, many times it's the products themselves and their construction methods and quality of materials that cause the damage.

Yes, I get that. It's a cheap pool made out of thin metal. What I'm asking is for an alternative to salt such as a chlorine delivery system.

Trichlor and dichlor and sodium hypochlorite (bleach/liquid chlorine) all add salt to your water. So the salinity will be elevated in the pool water regardless what you use to chlorinate. So yes, the pool will rust out at essentially the same rate with salt water or not.

It appears you live near the ocean. The environment is very corrosive. Do you see any other metal items in your yard rusting?

the salt system does make them fail faster, but not by much. cheap pools have poor quality metal usually. you could try and pre treat the areas you know are likely to fail with a quality paint and build it up well. and then keep an eye on it year after year

Trichlor and dichlor and sodium hypochlorite (bleach/liquid chlorine) all add salt to your water. So the salinity will be elevated in the pool water regardless what you use to chlorinate. So yes, the pool will rust out at essentially the same rate with salt water or not.

It appears you live near the ocean. The environment is very corrosive. Do you see any other metal items in your yard rusting?

OK, Thanks. No, not very close to saltwater. From what I remember on the directions of applying the salt at start up was to pour 10 --50 lb bags (16,000 gal pool). Mix it to dissolve, run filter 24 hours Without Salt water System Operating. I'd like to continue using the salt system I suppose if the chlorine won't help the rust issue. This is our second Intex pool and I do know the first one lasted 2 seasons longer. Perhaps it was the salt I used? I kind of remember using the larger white pellets for a water softener system on the first pool and just using the small crystal salt for the second, less lasting pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.