Will_pool

Aug 6, 2023
Rochester, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi. When my Pentair Mastertemp 250 goes to light, the gas valve opens then if it doesn't light right away BANG!! a backfire out the exhaust. Then it will cycle again and light normally about 5 seconds later. Does NOT set any error codes.
This is usually only the first light of the day, maybe a second time if it's been off for a while. I have a new ignitor coming today, but any other ideas?

Welcome to TFP.

Are you on NG or propane?

How old is your heater?

A new igniter resistance is 50 ohms. Check your old one and the replacement you get. We have seen defective new parts in the supply chain.

6 weeks back we had a problem where the heater would boot up (all LEDs would light momentarily, screen reads 888, then 213, then r13), then all the lights would go off. Normally it will go through that process and sit at the "Service System" or "Service Heater" until I would select POOL ON. I followed the troubleshooting flow chart from Pentair, everything seemed OK and when you get to the last step it says replace control board. I checked the board and could see a few spots where the coating was peeling off the copper traces. I cleaned it up, sealed it with black RTV, put heater back together and it has been working for 3 weeks no problem. Also replaced touchpad at same time.

About 10 days ago it started to backfire once when it turned on in the morning, but then fired up 5 seconds later and did not backfire the rest of the day. I check the ignitor and it was 133 Ohms, is supposed to be 40 - 80. Assume high resistance was preventing ceramic element from getting hot enough before gas built up. Ordered new one.

Heater was working today normally. New ignitor arrived today, shut off power to change it (new one reads 47 Ohms). Replaced ignitor, put back together turned on, and we're back to the issue from 6 weeks ago... boots up, then goes to no lights at all.
Anyone experience this before or have any ideas before I replace the board?

Turning the heater on without the pump running will result in "service system" light being on. Very dirty filter, clogged plumbing, will do the same. The heater is sensing the pressure switch is not closed. That is always a waterflow fault.

"Service heater" light can be any of the other safety switches (AGS, high-limit) and the SFS. The diagnostic LED on the back of the board will light indicating which.

Also, check all the wiring to the board for rodent damage. Was called for a second opinion on a recommended new heater. Opened it up and found one wire had been chewed through in two places. New wire and heater was fine. Symptoms were similar to yours. It was the Sta-Rite version of the Master Temp, but they both work identically.

Hi. Ten years. Old ignitor was 133 ohms, new was 48. Now I've got another problem (different thread). Heater boots up, all LEDs work, gives correct codes but then control panel goes blank with no lights.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.