No errors but no chlorine - Help!

Zeberifo

Aug 23, 2020
Michigan
Hello all, been relatively trouble free pool this summer, but maybe two weeks ago, the Hayward AQR100 stopped generating chlorine (using two different water tests). Less than 1 ppm. There are no errors on the unit. I even tried a new salt cell to see if that was the case. No change. I’ve got a call in for service, but anyone have any ideas or experiences? See attached photos. Even superchlorinate doesn’t do anything. IMG_3681.jpegIMG_3680.jpeg

Z,

The number one reason that SWCG's appears to not be making chlorine is algae, even if you can't see if yet...

Salt cells can not generate more chlorine than algae can consume.

You need to perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test or OCLT using Liquid Chlorine to confirm if it is the cell or something else. You run an OCLT with the cell off..

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks,

Jim R.

Z,

The number one reason that SWCG's appears to not be making chlorine is algae, even if you can't see if yet...

Salt cells can not generate more chlorine than algae can consume.

You need to perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test or OCLT using Liquid Chlorine to confirm if it is the cell or something else. You run an OCLT with the cell off..

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks I will try that. My first suspicion was a defective control panel.

Can you see bubbles coming out of the returns when on Superchlorinate (100%)? If you have a SS pump you may not be able to see them. If so, put your hand in front of a return, that typically allows the bubbles to show.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.