South Alabama
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
A pool service tech is telling me the stains on my 12 year old pool plaster is scaling and an acid wash using muriatic acid would help! Is there step by step instructions on here somewhere? I just want to double check what he’s telling me is correct! He said put 7 gallons of muriatic acid to my (11,000 gal) pool and a bottle of metal out. Keep the filter running on high 24/7 for 5 days. And brush the plaster at least twice daily. Then balance the chemicals back afterward. Does that sound right?

That is not right. 1 gallon of acid on your pool will lower the TA by 46ppm. 7 gallons would send the TA negative (consumes 319ppm of alkalinity), would crash your pH to below 2 and very likely damage your plaster. That much acid would make your plaster rough and porous which will only lead to more staining and a weaker surface. You will also damage your SWG with that low of a pH not to mention any metal components in your pool.

Do NOT follow that advice. You will wreck your pool.

Before you do anything, please post a full set of chemistry test for the water and pictures of what it is you are trying to get rid of.

I would recommend you wait until other experts have had the chance to look at your pictures. A Zero Alkalinity treatment is not without danger to your plaster and you do not want to do one without good reason. The amount of time you wait is not a set thing. It’s based on what you see visually and I would never recommend going longer than 24 hours unless you see actual progress in the stain removal. If nothing happens in the first few hours then the treatment should be immediately terminated to avoid damage.

Reactions: Maddie
Before you do anything, please post a full set of chemistry test for the water and pictures of what it is you are trying to get rid of.

I would recommend you wait until other experts have had the chance to look at your pictures. A Zero Alkalinity treatment is not without danger to your plaster and you do not want to do one without good reason. The amount of time you wait is not a set thing. It’s based on what you see visually and I would never recommend going longer than 24 hours unless you see actual progress in the stain removal. If nothing happens in the first few hours then the treatment should be immediately terminated to avoid damage.
I am still researching it and will definitely post my numbers and pictures soon (hopefully tomorrow)! Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.