No dead algea

EdKy

Jul 29, 2017
Louisville Ky
I'm new to this site and I have been reading up on cya and chlorine and have gone to liquid chlorine. I have had greenish streaks on the walls and floor and cloudy water. So last night I put in a shock level of chlorine - 16 ppm according to my cya level which is 40. This morning there was no dead algea in the bottom as has been in the past and green spots or streaks of green on th walls of the pool. The FC level was at 14 and I added more chlorine to get it back to 16 according to pool math. So I'm confused. Am I dealing with a different algea like mustard algea? The pictures I could find I don't see the difference. When brushing its a dark cloud that comes up, but under the brush it looks bright greenish(maybe yellowish),
within a few hours this morning there is already a light cloud when brushing. When I started this last night FC 6, cya 40 ( new with doing this from TF 100 so that may be off a little), cc 1, PH 7.8 (added reducer before starting, and ALkanity 150 not sure why it went up it was 120 on 7/31. Any help as what to do next would be appreciated. I'm thinking I should follow mustard protocol. Thanks, Ed

Welcome to the forum. Good job on a quality test kit!

Read the SLAM article. You just need to follow the Maintain part. It takes time. Keep your FC at shock and test/dose every couple hours during the day until the FC starts to hold. You should not test the other chemistry values during a SLAM - they should not change much and the pH is inaccurate at FC greater than 10.

Keep brushing, test FC, dose with chlorine.

Mustard algae is fairly rare. Just follow the normal SLAM levels and things will clear up in a few days.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.