Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC3 (RC-42)
My system is running on an EasyTouch upgrade (from Compool) controller. Recently, the wired Indoor Panel has gone into NO COMM mode, but with some strange symptoms. First, after a period of time, the panel will clear, and correctly display status info from the main outdoor system (air temp, water temp, heater status, status lights on circuits, etc. However, any button press on the indoor panel fails with "Communication Timeout", and if I do this a few times, the panel goes into NO COMM. If I do a Diagnostics reset on the indoor, it also goes to NO COMM.

I plugged the panel directly into the outdoor controller and the behavior is essentially the same. I find it odd that communication is clearly able to occur, but I can't get any commands from the panel to succeed. Indoor and outdoor panel diags show no failures (although the UART part of the test is pretty obscure - unclear whether selecting "link closed" or "open" is the right way to do it. One way seems to just skip the test. The other way runs a few messages and returns no fault.

A year or two ago, I had similar behavior (although the button presses would occasionally succeed. In this case, there was also an unused Aux circuit that toggled on and off "by itself" both at the indoor and outdoor panels. I found a disintegrated component on the main outdoor board, and assumed this was leading to a phantom button pressed signal that was flooding the com bus. I replaced the EasyTouch upgrade board, and the problem was solved (that time).

This year's problem, while symptoms are similar, is not caused by the same thing. The main ET board is clean, and there are no circuits misbehaving. The only other "event" is that I had just replaced my in-pool light fixture (which had been flooding, even with a new seal). It was literally the day after I replaced the light that the NO COMM problem started. I can't see a connection between the two (other than that my pool likes to continuously feed me with "projects". I'd like to avoid dropping $400+ for a new indoor panel, or doing a wifi upgrade without knowing for sure that it's the panel at fault (I'm trying to avoid sinking more money into the old system). In fact, I'd probably already be working on a new IC install if anyone had the systems in stock! (I have another thread with some preliminary questions as I suspect to have an IC install in the (hopefully near) future.

I've been trying to locate a "known good" indoor panel to verify, but so far, no luck on that. I need more local friends!

Is the indoor panel an old Compool or a new EasyTouch panel? I had an old Compool indoor panel apparently die of old age before I upgraded to the ET.

Is the indoor panel an old Compool or a new EasyTouch panel? I had an old Compool indoor panel apparently die of old age before I upgraded to the ET.
It’s an EasyTouch panel - probably only about 5 years old. It was put in when the ET upgrade was done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.