no chlorine reading

I was all ready to say go for the OCLT, then saw the CC of 1 :(
You could try the OCLT tonight, but you may not be quite done yet.

Remember pH test is not valid when the FC > 10ppm

We do not recommend swimming while the FC is above shock level.

Is the grandson only there over the weekend? If so, let the FC drop some and swim away. Then raise the FC back up and finish the SLAM ... sounds like you are close.

Hi guys. Readings today
FC 35!!!
CC .5
Gonna try the OCLT tonight but I need to cover bc temps are dropping into high 40's and I know the pool water will cool even more. Is that going to affect the OCLT readings at all. I won't cover until 8pm or so and uncover early morning. Also I'm concerned about the high FC reading, but no more chlorine odor coming off the pool. Pool is really clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thot so too bad we had heavy downpours last night for a few hours and the pool was uncovered. I checked to make sure I'm using the test kit correctly and I am but that being said I do have a lot of stuff going on and I really think I just had a senior moment doing something. So is it safe to cover tonight given out cool temps or should I just let it go. It's been in full sun all day and I'll check readings after dinner. Hopefully they will drop with the sun.

Ok guys I have got to let go of the chlorine thing and move on and let it come down by itself. I'm just happy the pool is clear and blue and doesn't smell like a public pool anymore. I do have some left over sodium thiosulfate left over from pool company but don't want to stray from the TFP method. That being said... since we are having chilly days and nights and it's been hard to keep any heat in the pool my barn buddy suggested black poly pipe and a pump to circulate the water running thru it and then back to the pool to raise the water temp. Anyone here ever used that method before. Sounds simple enough, not sure I want black poly pipe curled up but guess I could run some lengths the length of the pool off the concrete for awhile. It certainly makes sense that it would heat up the water and probably rather quickly if we could get some days holding steady in the 80"s. Any advice on this proposed project?

Typically homemade solar panels don't perform as well as premade ones, and by the time you make one big enough to get any heat you have spent as much as you would if you just bought one. Do a search for solar panel installations. It takes a decent square footage to make a noticeable difference. Usually needs to be at least 50% of the area of the pool. ie. 20x40 pool = 20x20. I'm in the same boat. Been pricing solar for a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that info n240sxguy I had no idea it would have to be that much. While I do have the room and it would would only need to be temporary I'm just not sure.... Most often than not by end of July/August we don't need heat usually laughing about how many bags of ice to cool it down!

One of these days when I have the $$$ laying around I'll put it in, but only to lengthen the swimming season. My pool was 77 yesterday, so it's almost right where I like it. Above about 85 and it feels like bath water. In my area 50-60% coverage is supposed to get you around a 10 degree increase, so it would be perfect for adding heat at the beginning and end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be happy to get to 70 right now. And you're right above 85 and it does feel like bath water but my kids/grandson like the water somewhere around 88/90. I will research solar panels but like you I don't have a ton of $$$ just laying around without a place to go already. Enjoy your swim season and thanks for the info.

Good morning. Yesterday I posted a FC level of 35. CC .5 I covered the pool around 730pm and uncovered at 7am this morning. Had to go to barn. Just did a reading. My FC is 1.6 CC .5. yes I am using test kit correctly, yes the pool is amazingly clear and blue. I have no idea whats happening but if I'm reading SLAM procedure correctly I am to add enuf bleach everyday to keep pool at shock level, for me that's 20, and hold it there until it doesn't continue to drop out. Correct??? I did check CYA again today and it is still 50. No point in testing anything else right now. What am I doing wrong?

I don't see that you are doing anything wrong. You have something in your pool that is consuming chlorine and the answer is more chlorine. Bring it back up to shock value as many times as necessary and it will start to diminish much less. There is no alternative.

Folks are often stunned by the amount of chlorine it takes but there is no cheaper, faster way to get the contaminates out of your pool.

Thanks for the encouraging words that I am on the right page with this. I'll go for more bleach but before I do that I will get in remove the decorative faceplates at the returns and skimmer to scrub for any lurking algae. I scrubbed the ladder really good before installing but I'll remove and scrub again. I'll vac and brush like I have been doing everyday. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.