No Chlorine Reading

JustinWheat

May 4, 2019
Moundville, Alabama
New to TFP and seeking some advice. We have a 19,300 AG pool installed last year. We did not cover the pool over the winter. Pool is cleaned up and now starting to balance the water. Currently having Leslie's Pool Store do our water testing while we wait on our test kit to come in. Ordering the Taylor K-2006C. Current test results are 0 FAC, 0TAC, 240CH, 0CYA, 110TA, 7.4PH, 0 Copper, 0 Iron, 200TDS, 0 Phosphates. We have added 12 pounds of shock so far and still reading zero. Water is cloudy blue tint with a little foam. Attached is a photo took this morning. The only difference from last year and this year is we have a Pool RX in the pump basket. Any help with the chlorine reading is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 17
Welcome to the forum!
PoolRX is copper. I suggest removing that now. How long has it been in the water? What is the powder 'shock' you have been adding?

Add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine per day to the pool until your test kit arrives. Then post a full set of test results.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I’ve removed the Pool RX. It’s been in there since Thursday. I’ve attached both types of shock I’ve put in the pool. 6 pounds of each.

Attachments

• A430D175-8E6C-47A5-8B3F-1D396AE0E6B3.jpeg
    A430D175-8E6C-47A5-8B3F-1D396AE0E6B3.jpeg
    555.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 252CDBE8-92E8-446F-8740-7FA9A7678644.jpeg
    252CDBE8-92E8-446F-8740-7FA9A7678644.jpeg
    497.7 KB · Views: 13
That is a significant level of copper. The one bag of 'shock' you showed has copper in it to - anything with Blue in the name. The other bag is Dichlor, which adds equal amounts of chlorine and CYA to your water.

Personally I think you should drain your pool to within 12-18" of the bottom and refill. That will get rid of the copper and when you get your new test kit you can start fresh. But other forum members may have other ideas.

Does your water have iron in it? Do you get staining in toilet bowls, sinks, etc?

I never took a fill sample reading but I've never seen staining in toilets,etc. Pool store recommended I put 1L of Metal Free in the water and let the pump run for 24hrs to bring the copper level down. I talked to a family friend and his suggestion once the copper level was zero was to really "supper shock" the pool. He recommended 30 pounds of shock. Any criticism against this advice?

You can sequester the copper but the best way is to get rid of it. You must continually add sequestrant as chlorine destroys it.

No such thing as 'supper shock'. And solid chlorine is not a good thing to use. Read the links I have posted above.

After reading the pool care guides and abc's of pool chemistry would you recommend a 12% sodium hypochlorite or Zap It 73% Cal Hypo pool shock? I'm tired of going to the local pool store to walk out spending more and more money. My plan is to retest tomorrow to see if the copper is still in the water and then add the recommend pool math values to get the chemicals balanced in the other categories CYA, PH, etc.

Liquid chlorine is the best way to chlorinate unless you have a SWCG. Hands down. It adds chlorine, water, and a tiny bit of salt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Clorox brand typically has Cloromax in it. That is a polymer additive not designed to be in pools.

Best sources of liquid chlorine is Walmart (Pool Essentials 10%), possibly the GV Cleaning Bleach (6%), also cleaning supply stores, some pool stores.
Discount stores such as Dollar General typically sell low strength bleach. If it does not show the %Sodium Hypochlorite on the bottle, it is typically under 3%.

Ok after the intitial slam had a FC reading of 16ppm. This was done Friday. Tonight I test the water and had 0 FC. Now I realize the importance of checking every day to see if it's holding the FC. Obvisously something is in the water eating the Chlorine up. Very cloudy but not green at all. Dumped 6 gallons of Pool Essentials 10% and will test tomorrow afternoon after work. How long before the cloudiness starts to dissipate?

SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain. The Maintain is many times each day. Up to every couple hours to start.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.