Cantabrigienne

Apr 13, 2021
Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Ok, I’m totally new to this. Got my TF-100 kit and am trying it out. Pool is just a few weeks old but we’ve had a lackluster startup (28-day program contracted by our builder, which supposedly guarantees the plaster). We were told the pool was “balanced” and we could swim, but I’ve never seen them doing any water chemistry. I just took my own sample to test and so far have just done the chlorine. Both tests (the Taylor daily kit and the DPD powder test) show no discernible chlorine in the pool. I know they have some tablets in the floater - is that just not enough to show up at all on the tests? Is there any reason for there not to be more chlorine in the pool at this point? (Like, am I going to mess anything up if I add chlorine? We’re about 3 weeks post-plastering.)

You should get 3 ppm FC worth of chlorine in the pool.

The pucks are slow to add. Not bad for the first few days after plastering, but you need to now get some CYA and chlorine in the water. Also manage pH.
Check with the builder -- as they may come and just dump stuff in without testing, and if you have all ready added anything (primarily CYA) they can add too much.

Ouch! No, adding chlorine will NOT cause any problems now. I would recommend you do so NOW and use liquid chlorine for its instant POW!

Are you planning on using tabs routinely? Are you aware of the negatives to this? Liquid chlorine and Salt water generators are a far better choice for day to day FC.

Maddie 🌻

You'll need to wait 30 days before adding salt. When you do add salt make sure the SWG device is turned completely OFF for at least 24 hours to allow the salt to all dissolve and mix in the water before you turn it on.

Did you get your stain issue solved?

Please run a full set of tests for us now:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Lets see if we can figure out if those pool people added any CYA and how everything else is looking too?

Maddie :flower:

Yo Canta'
If your pool has no Cl... its gonna take two Gallons of 10% to get you to 5 ppm FC. Once the SWG is turned on it can take over, but for now you are manually dosing. And find out from the PB what they are providing in the way of start up chems. It might be in your contract or not. Sometimes they give you a bunch of stuff you'll never use (especially if you intend to follow the TFP guidelines) and you can negotiate for the stuff you will really use.

You'll need to wait 30 days before adding salt. When you do add salt make sure the SWG device is turned completely OFF for at least 24 hours to allow the salt to all dissolve and mix in the water before you turn it on.

Did you get your stain issue solved?

Please run a full set of tests for us now:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Lets see if we can figure out if those pool people added any CYA and how everything else is looking too?

Maddie :flower:
No, we haven’t gotten the stain issue resolved. They are wanting to do an acid wash next week but I’m thinking I’d like to see if actually having chlorine in the pool would help first... 🤷‍♀️

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. Just did the CYA test (I have 4 kids under 7 so this is taking me a while to steal a few mins here and there...😂) I’m not sure I understand the test - is the solution supposed to be cloudy or something? It says to keep adding until you can’t see the black dot at the bottom of the view tube, but it’s a perfectly clear liquid. I added the whole thing and can still see the bottom perfectly. Does that just mean my CYA is zero?

Ok here’s what I got for everything. It quite sure what it all means but would love any suggestions! I picked up some liquid chlorine and stabilizer at Home Depot but haven’t put anything in yet.

FC - 0
CC - 0
pH - 7.8
TA - 70
CH - 325-350
CYA - 0

Add 3 ppm FC worth of chlorine this evening. See if that effects the stain prior to adding CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.