"No cell power" message

The service light is on on my control panel and there is a message that says "no cell power".
I unplugged/re-plugged the SWG - no effect.
There is also a button which attempts to start up the cell after about a 10 second countdown. I hear clicking and noises, but
it quickly reverts to the same "no cell power" message.

I recently submerged my SWG into a bucket of water/muriatic acid to clean it. It is 2-3 years old as well.

I'd like to know for sure it is the SWG and not the controller that is the problem before I order another SWG.

Any thoughts/ideas on what might be happening?

I recently submerged my SWG into a bucket of water/muriatic acid to clean it. It is 2-3 years old as well.

Did you properly protect the wiring harness when you submerged the cell to clean it?

Did you follow what is described on page 9 of https://hayward-pool-assets.com/ass...nuals/AquaRite-AQR-Operation-Installation.pdf to clean the cell?

Servicing and Cleaning the Aqua Rite cell
Turn off power to the Aqua Rite before removing the electrolytic cell. Once removed,
look inside the cell and inspect for scale formation (light colored crusty or flaky deposits)
on the plates and for any debris which has passed through the filter and caught on
the plates. If no deposits are visible, reinstall. If deposits are seen, use a high pressure
garden hose and try to flush the scale off. If this is not successful, use a plastic or wood
tool (do not use metal as this will scratch the coating off the plates) and scrape deposits
off of plates. Note that a buildup on the cell indicates that there is an unusually high
calcium level in the pool (old pool water is usually the cause). If this is not corrected,
you may to have to periodically clean the cell. The simplest way to avoid this is to bring
the pool chemistry to the recommended levels as specified.

Mild Acid Washing: Use only in severe cases where flushing and scraping will not
remove the majority of deposits. To acid wash, turn off power to Aqua Rite. Remove cell
from piping. In a clean plastic container, mix a 4:1 solution of water to muriatic acid (one
gallon of water to one quart of muriatic acid). ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER -
NEVER ADD WATER TO ACID. Be sure to wear rubber gloves and appropriate eye
protection. The level of the solution in the container should just reach the top of the cell
so that the wire harness compartment is NOT submerged. It may be helpful to coil the
wiring before immersing the cell.
The cell should soak for a few minutes and then rinse
with a high pressure garden hose. If any deposits are still visible, repeat soaking and
rinsing. Replace cell and inspect again periodically.

It's ProLogic/AquaLogic, not AquaRite.

What is the entire exact error message?

You need to remove the circuit board and check for bad solder on the back of the board.

Last edited:
Did you properly protect the wiring harness when you submerged the cell to clean it?

Did you follow what is described on page 9 of https://hayward-pool-assets.com/ass...nuals/AquaRite-AQR-Operation-Installation.pdf to clean the cell?

Servicing and Cleaning the Aqua Rite cell
Turn off power to the Aqua Rite before removing the electrolytic cell. Once removed,
look inside the cell and inspect for scale formation (light colored crusty or flaky deposits)
on the plates and for any debris which has passed through the filter and caught on
the plates. If no deposits are visible, reinstall. If deposits are seen, use a high pressure
garden hose and try to flush the scale off. If this is not successful, use a plastic or wood
tool (do not use metal as this will scratch the coating off the plates) and scrape deposits
off of plates. Note that a buildup on the cell indicates that there is an unusually high
calcium level in the pool (old pool water is usually the cause). If this is not corrected,
you may to have to periodically clean the cell. The simplest way to avoid this is to bring
the pool chemistry to the recommended levels as specified.

Mild Acid Washing: Use only in severe cases where flushing and scraping will not
remove the majority of deposits. To acid wash, turn off power to Aqua Rite. Remove cell
from piping. In a clean plastic container, mix a 4:1 solution of water to muriatic acid (one
gallon of water to one quart of muriatic acid). ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER -
NEVER ADD WATER TO ACID. Be sure to wear rubber gloves and appropriate eye
protection. The level of the solution in the container should just reach the top of the cell
so that the wire harness compartment is NOT submerged. It may be helpful to coil the
wiring before immersing the cell.
The cell should soak for a few minutes and then rinse
with a high pressure garden hose. If any deposits are still visible, repeat soaking and
rinsing. Replace cell and inspect again periodically.

A friend of mine owns a pool maintenance business and told me what to do.
I was very protective of the plug end of the wire, but I submerged the entire cell in the solution to clean it.
My friend said let it sit in the solution til it stops bubbling/fizzing (roughly 10-15 minutes).
I never tried scraping at it with anything - just went straight to the muriatic acid/water solution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My board looks just like the one in the video - it has a dark spot right where that solder joint is.
I have tried soldering that point about 10 times to no avail - my soldering skills are terrible, but this doesn't look like it should be that hard.
Still getting the "No cell power" message.

New wrinkle in the situation.
My SWG was reading low chlorine constantly and I ended up putting too much salt in my pool.
Once I cleaned the SWG with muriatic acid, it showed the proper salt reading, which is now 5300 - way too high.

I just went and checked my pool and on the screen it now says "Hi Salt/Amps".

I believe I need to replace some water in the pool to bring the salt level down. Is this the cause of my headaches?

Go to the diagnostic screen, note the readings and then press the + button to reverse the polarity.

When the new numbers appear, see what they are.

Then, press + again and note the new readings.

You need to be really sure about the actual salinity reading.

You need to use a K-1766 salt test kit or a calibrated meter.

Did fixing the solder point fix the "No Cell Power" error message?

I'm not sure what is actually happening now.
I turned my SWG completely off last night and just ran the pumps.
This morning I went and increased the percentage so that the chlorinator would turn on.
When I checked its operation it said "Chlorinator off/Percentage met" which seems odd since it did not run at all last night.

When I hit the + button it did a 15 second countdown and came on - last about 10 seconds then shut off with "High Salt/Amps" message.
While it was on I recorded the numbers:
+40.58V 10.08A
54F 3000 PPM

I hit the + button again and it tried to turn on and went straight to "No Cell Power" message.
Hit the + button again and it turned on again but then went to "High Salt/Amps".

So it seems to be cycling between these 2 messages when I try to turn it on.

All this to say, I don't understand what sequence of buttons to press to reverse the polarity on my cell.
I'll see if I can figure that out.

The 40 volts is usually a solder point problem. The excessive voltage is causing the excessive amperage. The voltage should be about 25 volts.

Check the solder points again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.