No bubbles from spa

Jcamin

Dec 29, 2016
Miami, Fl
I have a spa attached to my unground pool, just purchased the house a couple of months ago and I'm having problems with the spa. Please keep in mind I'm sort of new new to this have some knolage and ideas but no way a pro. The issue is as I said no bubbles come out, the water pressure feels good. It has 5 jets (4 for the spa and 1 for regular return) I do not have a blower just a vent pipe. Dot really feel any suction going thru it. I blow air down the pipe with shop vac and and water stars to move. After that it stops. I notice one of them right after that wants to like start up (like when you crank a lawn mower) but seems very soft and then stops after a few seconds or so. The old owner had a DE filter but was changed to regular on befor selling the us the house. Is a one pump system.

Welcome to forum!

It would help greatly to have a detailed list of equipment. Here is how to fill out your signature: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

How far is the vent pipe from the spa? Is it close to the equipment pad? It may of had a blower at one time. Some spas require blowers to get the venturi action to start.

What type of filter do you now have? (Make/model)

What is the filter pressure while pump is running?

What make/model pump do you have? If a VS pump, what is the RPM when running the spa?

The vent is about 10' away the filter is pentair cc100 cartridge 18psi on the filter gage pool mode and about 23psi spa mode the pump is a single speed waterway smf115 can't read the label not too clear but I think is a 1hp the vent is located by the pool equipment next to the valves. There is one next to also coming up from the groun with a 180 that is sort of capped off and says "do not handle pool safety equipment " and another one just like it no the opposite side of the pool about 3' out. There is also one pipe (1 1/2 ) that I think at some point was the vacuum since that is not working either.

But is the vent close to the other equipment? Does it have any marks on it that would indicate a blower was installed at any point in time.

Another possibility is that the vent pipe is clogged or perhaps the spa jets are plugged. You could try removing the jet nozzles (deep in spa wall), and try flushing the lines. They require a long socket wrench to remove.

What size is your pool? The cc100 is a very small cartridge and could be adding too much head loss to the system.

Yes the vent is in the general are of the pool equipment, no signs of there ever been a blower. The pool I believe is 10,000 gallons hard to measure since is not straight. I tried asking the guy who used to service the pool but he's an idiot. I know the old filter used to be a big de filter which he replaced because he did it was a pain to maintain (or so he said) took out the nozzle attached to 1" pipe about 8" long or so that were screwed in that also had an o'ring on them. One thing I forgot to mention I only have 2 eyeballs I order the other 2 from pinch a penny but I don't think that would have any thing to do with it or does it?

The exterior eyeballs only direct the flow. It is the nozzles within the spa wall that help draw in the air and mix it with the water. However, the nozzles could be missing. You would need to drain the spa (into the pool) and look inside the jet holes with eyeballs removed to see if the nozzles are installed. They look like this:

217-3330.jpg

If they are installed, you could then remove them with a socket wrench and flush the lines.

I am not sure what I am looking at in those pictures. Is that a fountain? Can you take a picture of a wider scene?

Venturi spa jets would be in the spa wall not pointed up like that.

Sorry about that the picture came out side way when I posted it. That pice is what I have inside the spa jets. That's the long nozzle I told you I have (4) of them not sure if I can upload a video that might make it better to understand. Let me know

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That can happen with the vent pipe.

But when the nozzles are installed, is the end of the jet recessed behind the spa wall? Those jets seem very long.

But if the water lines are clear and the jets are installed but still not working, then the air line could be clogged with something. When you took over the pool was there a cover on the vent line?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.