NJ Swamp Revival / Mini Rehab

DE filters are the worst when cleaning a swamp pool. They will clog up rapidly and require cleaning each time they do. Backwashing will not do it.

So yeah, you have to take it apart when it clogs up and clean it out.

DE filters are the worst when cleaning a swamp pool. They will clog up rapidly and require cleaning each time they do. Backwashing will not do it.

So yeah, you have to take it apart when it clogs up and clean it out.
Ah okay, what a pain! Would you suggest using the new grids at this point or save them for once its cleaner?

I've also been losing prime when filtering at any speed below 2500 rpm. Im going to deep clean the pump and plumbing when I open the filter today to rule out any clogs.

Ah okay, what a pain! Would you suggest using the new grids at this point or save them for once its cleaner?

I've also been losing prime when filtering at any speed below 2500 rpm. Im going to deep clean the pump and plumbing when I open the filter today to rule out any clogs.

I wouldn’t put anything new into the filter until you have the pool clear. Algae blooms can easily and rapidly clog up filters. You see green patches in the pool that are only 1/100th of the problem - the water is literally filled with free floating algae that is microscopic. You are essentially filtering algae jello.

Reactions: newdude
Starting to see some improvement! 3rd step and shallow end floor are finally visible. I did a deep clean of the pump and filter this morning which really helped with the pressure issues. Still slowly losing prime after about an hour so I’m going to try reseating the inlet union tomorrow. I was able to get 4 hours of filtering before I lost most return pressure. The filter only raised 5psi but I had little to no water movement and the pic below is what I opened up to. Picked up some more DE so hoping to get 2-3 more of these filtering cycles tomorrow.

FC - 10
CC - 1
pH - 7.2
Cya - 30

B5F088A6-F329-4A60-8DE0-ECBD75689BE1.jpeg
52DBFB65-525F-4AF3-ABF8-C74429388ECB.jpeg

1 week and 100lbs of DE later, the kids wants to know when we can swim! Do I just need to pass an OCLT and we're good to go down to normal FC levels?

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 2.14.33 PM.png

Reactions: IceShadow
So long as your FC is above minimum, at or below SLAM level, pH in the 7s, and you can see the whole bottom of the pool, it’s safe to swim. :)

Be forwarned that when you set yourself up for the OCLT it may burn off some chlorine due to bathers earlier in the pool so you'd need to make sure about an hour later after topping it off that your level is achieved and holding at least for the sort time frame and then you'd wait for the am check.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.