Nightmare pool build.

Mboivin

Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2022
Phoenix Az
11 months in and rebar framework has just been sitting in elements getting damaged. Now more damage with second Arizona summer heat and monsoon season. Pool: 20ftX40ft rectangle diving pool 8ft depth at deep end with Baja step and pet/Baja step and one bench. Problems: All the rebar is rusted, some have fallen off with the metal ties to the bottom of the pool and are buried under sand; side walls and areas behind skimmers are caving in; PVC and conduit have been exposed to AZ heat for second summer now. They are sunburned and 2 days ago the pool rep I was showing the Sun scorched PVC to then proceeded to stand and bounce on it. Cave ins have now lessened ground clearance for shotcrete to below 2 inches. In fact dirt is touching rusted rebar snd bottom corners. Contractor has yet to inform of what they solution is. I have suggested all rebar needs to be replaced, along with damaged PVC but all I get is “It will be perfect”. “You have a lifetime warranty on the shell”. But nothing has been done with pool since December of 2021 and no attempts to protected framework from elements were ever made by the builder.

Attachments

• 7C75A1D1-2D80-4E9C-A445-1B9901D704F0.jpeg
    7C75A1D1-2D80-4E9C-A445-1B9901D704F0.jpeg
    688.4 KB · Views: 134
  • A6DC6C24-0795-48A4-95FB-AAB5443F8115.jpeg
    A6DC6C24-0795-48A4-95FB-AAB5443F8115.jpeg
    838.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 0277D9A8-C6E7-469A-B5DE-C97FE544EC5F.jpeg
    0277D9A8-C6E7-469A-B5DE-C97FE544EC5F.jpeg
    791.4 KB · Views: 128
  • A5EC6F24-681F-40B4-A7B9-9A3F6C484974.jpeg
    A5EC6F24-681F-40B4-A7B9-9A3F6C484974.jpeg
    506.9 KB · Views: 125
Do you have a set of pool plans with an engineers stamp on it?

If so contact the engineer who certified the plans and request that he review if what you have meets the plan specifications.

What plans were required to be filed for a building permit and what inspections are required?

The sun scorched PVC has been compromised/weakened and will need to be replaced.
The rusted rebar is its own issue.

It may be time to call the engineer who signed the pland and also the city building department.

Reactions: Mboivin
Rusted rebar is acceptable in the industry because it will be incapsulated in Shotcrete/Gunite.
My experience with sunburnt plumbing pipes is that the inspectors will allow it as long as it passes pressure test.
Cave ins will be filled in with Shotcrete/Gunite but the steel cage still needs 3” of clearance from dirt.

Do you have a set of pool plans with an engineers stamp on it?

If so contact the engineer who certified the plans and request that he review if what you have meets the plan specifications.

What plans were required to be filed for a building permit and what inspections are required?
I have a permit plan. I also have expired Arizona standard gun it’s and reinforcement detail plan with stamp that shows expired 12/31/14?

Rusted rebar is acceptable in the industry because it will be incapsulated in Shotcrete/Gunite.
My experience with sunburnt plumbing pipes is that the inspectors will allow it as long as it passes pressure test.
Cave ins will be filled in with Shotcrete/Gunite but the steel cage still needs 3” of clearance from dirt.
Salt water system and potential for rust through some inspectors fail rusted rebar using code for pool walls as retention walls or so I have read?

Have they said why no work as been done in such a long time?
They blame it on supply shortage. But they have completed other pools in less time.
11 months in and rebar framework has just been sitting in elements getting damaged. Now more damage with second Arizona summer heat and monsoon season. Pool: 20ftX40ft rectangle diving pool 8ft depth at deep end with Baja step and pet/Baja step and one bench. Problems: All the rebar is rusted, some have fallen off with the metal ties to the bottom of the pool and are buried under sand; side walls and areas behind skimmers are caving in; PVC and conduit have been exposed to AZ heat for second summer now. They are sunburned and 2 days ago the pool rep I was showing the Sun scorched PVC to then proceeded to stand and bounce on it. Cave ins have now lessened ground clearance for shotcrete to below 2 inches. In fact dirt is touching rusted rebar snd bottom corners. Contractor has yet to inform of what they solution is. I have suggested all rebar needs to be replaced, along with damaged PVC but all I get is “It will be perfect”. “You have a lifetime warranty on the shell”. But nothing has been done with pool since December of 2021 and no attempts to protected framework from elements were ever made by the builder.
They just requested my site plan that shows where my septic tank and septic lines are. Shouldn’t they have had that prior to excavation? They did not build over septic but initially tried to draw pool out over septic and I had to tell the guy where to spray paint where the pool was going way back September 2021. They said they took care of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does the pool builder have any incentive to come back? Is your payment schedule lining his pockets and emptying your wallet? Permits, HOA, excavation, plumbing and steel was just under a quarter of my total costs. Not asking to get into your business but what is/was your payment schedule?

Still to be completed electrical, gunite, equipment, tile, decking, landscaping and finish (quartz, pebble, etc). That’s three quarters left to go in payment in my pool build.

With so much more to do, if you’ve paid him already, then its time for the squeaky wheel gets the attention.

Reactions: reggiehammond
On the stamped steel engineering plans is their an area that shows your address?
The plans look to be expired along with the certification date of the engineer who signed them.
The inspector typically checks these plans at pre Shotcrete inspection.

Attachments

• 35771811-73C2-4C08-816A-7A51BB7A9A2C.jpeg
    35771811-73C2-4C08-816A-7A51BB7A9A2C.jpeg
    309.9 KB · Views: 21
On the stamped steel engineering plans is their an area that shows your address?
The plans look to be expired along with the certification date of the engineer who signed them.
The inspector typically checks these plans at pre Shotcrete inspection.
This is the permit plan and it is wrong. Septic is actually more to the right and so is pool. The contractor knew this on day one of construction when the guy came and tried to paint the pool layout almost directly over where my septic was back in September 2021. The date on the permit plan is actually 6 days before the completion date of the contract (with a corrected date since they entered the wrong year of 2021 for completion date) Thank you so much for replying to me. I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 15
The engineers stamp shows expiration date of 12/31/2014. On A form titled Arizona Standard Gunite & Reinforcement Detail Plan.
I found a form I missed with the engineer stamp. Is this who I should contact to come and inspect the build so far? By the way the stamp is 3 days after completion date on contract which was 4/12/2021 but given a corrected year of 2022. Can’t blame this on supply chain issues I wouldn’t think.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 29
No, typically inspections are conducted by the City/County who even issued the permit.

I think the two of you are talking about inspections for different purposes.

I do not expect any critical review of the status of the dig and rebar from a City/County inspector.

Given the delays I think the OP should see if the engineer who did the plans will review if the build conforms to the engineering specifications. If the engineer who did the plans refuses then he should find an independent engineer who can advise him.

I don’t understand why the one steel engineering plan is stamped September 2014, is that when the engineering plan was pulled?

It looks to me like the builder has sets of plans on the shelf that he dusts off and gets authorization to use on a specific build. So the plans were originally developed in September 2014 and then authorized to use on this build in April 2022. Those plans were not custom developed for this build.

Reactions: Mboivin
WOW they do things differently.
For me Pre Shotcrete inspection includes so many items like, set backs of the excavation, transition grades along with depths and confirmation of soil type. In specific city’s you also must provide location of where the spoil dirt is being dumped.
Steel alignment that match the steel engineering plans for size of bar, proper spacing from un disturbed soil.
Engineering plans must have the address of job site on the plans and can only be used for that location to confirm soil expansion, they are for one time use only.
This is why I couldn’t understand the stamped dates, makes sense to me now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.