east texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
The cold weather here in Texas brought our Jandy Steath pump ( (1.5hp single speed) to it's knees. Have suffered a pool pump failure To add to that delight we are in the midst of slamming. The pool is a 21k sports w no frills, no fancy lights, nor spa, not even a SWG. Oh yes! We are first time pool owners. So we gotta replace. That leads to replace with what. With an eye on a SWG and maybe some automation in the future. A local dealer has a Pentair Intelliflo VSF, costing about $3k installed. Does that sound reasonable? I understand the Pentair is one of the top three brands. How does the VSF rate? Would appreciate any responses. I can get it installed tomorrow. @mas985 any thoughts?

Mc,

IntelliFlo pumps are the "Gold Standard" of pool pumps.

I have three VS models that run 24/7 at low RPMs.. One is over 10 years old, one is over 7 years old and the one at my house is over 6 years old. Have never had a problem. At 1200 RPM, where they run most of the time, you have to almost touch the pump to make sure it is running because they are so quiet. Running 24/7 costs less than $20 bucks a month, and the new ones are even more efficient.

The pump cost about $1500 bucks so, $3K to have one installed seems to me awful high.

Should be closer to $2K including install. Unless they are going to have to replumb half your equipment pad to get the pump to fit.

Make sure they use Pump unions to install the pump.. Only an idiot would install the $1,500 pump without unions. Like this..

Thanks,

Jim R.

What has happened to the old pump? Is the wet end still in good condition? If so, one option would be to replace the motor with a VS motor.

The new VS pump cost is about half of that $3k or perhaps less if you get it on Amazon so you could save some if you install it yourself or find someone else to install it.

Also, there are other lower cost VS pumps such as the SuperFlo VS pump.

Also, power company rebates can often lower the cost of a new VS pump.

@Jimrabbe. thanks. As mentioned in reply to mas985 if installed through and from a dealer (not an internet purchase) the Pentair warranty is 3 years. If the Pentair is the gold std then maybe the warranty is an ancillary consideration.

Mc,

I used to run several non-pool-related warranty repair centers over the years. One thing they all had in common was the fact that new products tend to fail at initial power up or within 60 days.. Warranties are sales gimmick to attract buyers, then have nothing to do with the quality of the products.

Out of the three IntelliFlo pumps that I bought, two were purchased online with no warranty. None of them have had any issue in over 10 years of 24/7 operation.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.