Next project - pool equipment pad and replumb

So - model number 011018?

Just make sure it’s the one with the rotatable display. Wish mine did that. And, if you want to get super fancy, I believe they even sell a model where the display/control driver box can be wall-mounted away from the pump. Could be useful if you don’t intend to hook it up to an EasyTouch automation panel.

B,

The 011018 does NOT have the rotatable controller... If you stand at the pump basket, and try to read the controller, it will be upside down...

If you are not planning on automation, it would make sense to layout your pad so that you can read the controller from the motor end or the side...

Otherwise, it makes sense to buy a newer model with the rotatable controller.. I 'assume' they cost more, but have not looked...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok guys. Talk to me... I went to the hardware to buy concrete. After talking to the owner (I always shoot the breeze with him when I stop), he says - well, why don’t you just use this... preformed concrete pad.

I didn’t buy the concrete - will go back tomorrow after I think about it. The preformed piece sure would be easier! Gotta go take some measurements to see if I can fit it together properly on a 3’x3’ pad

2c75fb32d078d5e0544d754a164732d3.jpg

I've almost talked myself into dumping some more $$$ into the pool equipment. Here are a few questions...

Pump

Pentair Intelliflo was recommended
What about the PureLine Prime from INYO? $749 for a scratch and dent model... PureLine Prime Variable Speed Pool Pump 2.7 HP (Scratch Dent) - 8-PL2606 - INYOPools.com

Robot
So far, I've picked the Dolphin Nautilus Plus... around $730 pending the week on Amazon... Amazon.com : Dolphin 99996403-PC Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner : Garden Outdoor. We use the Amazon store card, so I think that means a 10% rebate, taking it to ~$650

Salt Water Cell
Haven't started researching yet

If you had to put those in a priority order... what would it be?
Input on the PureLine Pump?
Thoughts on the robot of choice?
SWG recommendation?

Have you considered looking at getting an EasyTouch automation panel that comes with an SWG bundled in? I know your pool is simple but having the automation panel (say a simpler ET-4 panel) would give you more stuff to mess with in the future (landscape lighting, wireless/smartphone control, etc). They often cone bundles with an Intellichlor SWG and then it seemlessky integrates with an IntelliFlo VSP.

You might start with the bundled automation/SWG first, then go for the VSP later. The panel relay can also be upgraded to handle a 2-speed pump if that’s what you have now.

Dolphin definitely. Have you looked around at brick & mortar stores to see if you can get one locally? I’m a big fan of local purchases as these robots do need repair on occasion and I’m much happier driving it a few miles to shop rather than trying to hassle with shipping and phone calls.

I currently have a single speed pump. I think it is original to the pool, so I think it’ll need serviced soon.

I’ve never considered an automation panel... guess I’ll spend some time looking.

As for working on a robot... as you can tell, I enjoy tearing things apart and putting them back together, so I’d most likely do repair work myself anyway

Swap the single speed motor for a 2-speed at the cost of ~$200 or so and then you’ll have a 2-speed pump. You can get an EasyTouch automation panel with a 2-speed control relay on the pool pump switch and then have the SWG controlled through automation. You might like the 2-speed pump so much that you’ll never switch to a VSP. Payback on a 2-speed motor replacement is a lot faster than a VSP.

Well, parts for most of the modern robots consist of the power supply, cable and motor. They are monolithic units that are simply swapped out when bad; they can not be broken down and repaired any further than that (that’s how Dolphin makes them). Parts are not always easy to get and the DIYer will be last in line relative to repair shops and resellers. There have been instances of part shortages in the past. So, getting the longest warranty possible is a good idea in most cases. Up to you of course how you want to do that. Marina’s Pool and Spa World (not sure of the URL for them) usually has very good deals on robots and, when you buy from them over the phone, it counts as a “brick & mortar” sale so you get the full Dolphin warranty. If you buy online from Amazon, that may or may not be the case. Dolphin restricts online sales to only a very few models and will not honor warranties on units that are not sold according to their supplier channels. This is done because they want to protect their retail sellers as it is not possible for them to make money if they have to compete with online sales.

a02d71d049576010b9f1ddae58bc4202.jpg

Pad is in... now the rain needs to stop so I can get the plumbing done!

I’m really struggling with what to do equipment wise. I have no need or interest in an automation system.

I read a different thread “Need new motor. Variable speed with salt chlorinators?” I feel much the same way as that conversation... it shouldn’t need to be that difficult!

So, I think I’ll go all out... new pump, swg, and robot... but I’ve gotta overdo the research first (it just wouldn’t be me if I didn’t)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you don’t care about automation then don’t bother with it. Get a CircuPool SWG as those are the best in terms of output, warranty and stand-alone installation. You can get one of their monster 3lbs/day chlorine unit with complete self-installation and, last i checked, you get a 7 year warranty. That’s pretty sweet.

Either do the 2-speed motor swap OR get a VSP. The VSP will be best at letting you dial in an exact flow rate, but a 2-speed will have the best payoff. A Pentair IntelliFlo is a fine stand-alone VSP if you set it up that way.

Robot - Dolphin S200 from Marina’s. It’s a simple unit, no fuss, no complexity and it’ll clean your pool.

The only downside to no automation is that you’ll need to Jerry-rig a way to make sure the SWG is never on when the pump isn’t running. With a 2-speed pump, it’s as easy as slaving the SWG to the load side of the pump timer. With a VSP, they are powered all the time so you have to use a separate mechanical timer on the SWG and then ensure that the SWG timer is in sync with your pump schedule.

In terms of pricing pumps, make sure you check Amazon (and your utility company for rebates). I was able to pick up two of those Pentair VSPs for around $700 shipped and my utility company gave me 2x$200 dollar rebates bringing my total cost to around $1k for both pumps. I only needed one but couldn't resist both for that price.

My M500 was probably the best investment I've made.

My current electrical line to the pump is a 2-wire (black, white, and ground)... no neutral. I’m guessing that the two speed pumps need the neutral - right?

One speed is by applying 240v and the other by applying 120v (?)

I’m also guessing that the VSP doesn’t require the neutral... is that correct?

How about the SWG?

I’m not an electrician or electrical expert but I think your wiring might need to be redone as well. 2-speed pumps have two sets of wiring in them that changes the number of poles when you select low or high speed. It uses 240V power all the time. At least that’s my understanding of it. But I think a neutral wire is required in must instances so your current wiring may not be sufficient.

Does pulling new wiring sound like fun to you?

You’ll have to check the manufacturer’s installation guides to see what the VSP and SWG require.

as fun as a barrel of monkeys! not really difficult... just not fun.

I dunno...I’ve seen lots of monkeys, they can be fun....

I’d wait for some electrical experts to chime in. Maybe you can post a picture of what you current wiring looks like and some others can chime in. I’d hate to see you pull new wiring if it’s not necessary.

b,

220 volt 2-speed pumps work as Matt described above.. They only need the two hots and a ground, they do not need a Neutral..

VSP's also only use the two hots and ground and do not need a Neutral...

If you want to add anything that needs to operate from 120 volts.. like a robot... You'll need to rewire the pad..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I've narrowed the SWG choices down to a Pentair IC40 ($899.99 on Amazon) or a Hayward AQR15 ($830.95 on Amazon)... leaning more Hayward.

As for pump, I'm leaning more towards the Pentair 342001 Superflo pump ($662) over the Intelliflo ($926). Based on the few hours I've spent reading other threads on the forums in the past days, I see several others who go that way in a similar situation as me (low complexity pool)

Regarding the robot - I haven't shopped around any more (yet).

Meantime, my pool is now green... yummy!

- - - Updated - - -

I have 120v outlets on the deck, so no concern for the robot.

I've narrowed the SWG choices down to a Pentair IC40 ($899.99 on Amazon) or a Hayward AQR15 ($830.95 on Amazon)... leaning more Hayward.

As for pump, I'm leaning more towards the Pentair 342001 Superflo pump ($662) over the Intelliflo ($926). Based on the few hours I've spent reading other threads on the forums in the past days, I see several others who go that way in a similar situation as me (low complexity pool)

Regarding the robot - I haven't shopped around any more (yet).

Meantime, my pool is now green... yummy!

- - - Updated - - -

I have 120v outlets on the deck, so no concern for the robot.

Pentair 342001 purchased on eBay for $569.69
Hayward Goldline AQR15 purchased on Amazon for $830.95

Both should be here on Friday! So there will be plumbing in my future this weekend!! Then SLAMing

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.