Newly filled pool need help

dgbartlett

May 26, 2020
Austell, Ga.
We are new pool owners...I bought the HTH shock and it says it treats 13,500 gals and our pool is 5060 gals. OK, I have read so much that I am in a whirlwind! I thought that maybe I didn't need the shock so I put a 3" chlorine puck in and I tested it...everything is low. I was told that I really don't need all those chemicals that pools places up sale you on, so what should I use? I have heard of bleach and baking soda. Should I use the shock and if so how much? We wanted to swim this eveing.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You may have a bit of a learning curve here, but stick to it and you'll learn quickly. Everything we show you here is based on accurate home testing with a "proper" test kit. Either a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. See Test Kits Compared. I recommend the TF-100.

Remember first, to prevent algae and keep a pool sanitary, the Free Chlorine (FC) and stabilizer (CYA) must be balanced together as seen on the FC/CYA Levels. What do we use to increase FC? Liquid pool chlorine (from Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe;s etc) or regular bleach (from Walmart or any other retail store). Laundry bleach must always be plain. Never us splashless or scented bleaches. Also avoid the Clorox brand bleach. Use the PoolMath APP to help you with the amount to use. Use it, practice it, and you'll be good. Please read our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

We don't "shock" water for no reason. If there is algae, then we use the SLAM Process. If your water is green or cloudy, let us know. Start there and let us know about any other questions.

Do you have a chlorine/FC test? Post all of the results that that you have.

Once you get going and understand how the 3 primary chemicals work together, it really is easy and trouble free. Don't be tempted to go to the pool store, have them test and then buy a bunch of chemicals they recommend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.