Newbie with stains in pool

Jackson5Fam

Jun 22, 2019
Keller, TX
Hi there!
We are relatively new pool owners. Our pool is small, only about 5 ft deep, and salt water. We live in (very HOT) Texas.
I have noticed some stains in my pool and they seem to be getting worse. They are a brownish color. NOT rust. There hasn’t been anything like leaves in the pool to make a stain. Someone suggested that the stains may be from the chemicals being “off.” Another friend said it needs an acid wash. Is there anything that can be done without draining my pool? It looks like dirt but doesn’t come off when I sweep.

Okay, first thing you need to do is to stop listening to Leslie's. When you take your water to the pool store, buy whatever they tell you, and dump it into your pool, you are putting the wolf in charge of the hen-house.

If you go here Pool School - Trouble Free Pool you will learn all you need to know.

But the first rule is to get a proper testkit so you can test yourself. Cheap testing methods (strips, regular test kits, pool store) are in accurate and not trustworthy.

Go here: Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool

Pool maintenance is actually pretty easy.....if you follow the methods espoused here at TFP. Last year I was using pool stores, and test strips, and listening to advice about all these things I needed to put into my pool. Found this place this year and learned the right way to do things.

Hopefully one of the experts will chime in here. These folks are the best!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What lonewolfarcher is telling you IS the solution to your stain problem. You have to start with a known status of your pool chemistry. Then bring anything that is deficient into specification. Then correct any remaining issues. The stains could be from metals in the chemicals Leslie's sold you. They could be Calcium scale due to CH too high. They could be pH and FC so far out that they are eating other parts of your pool. It takes time, but it's not terribly complicated or difficult. Test the water, adjust for pH, FC, CYA, CH and TA. Understand the relationships between these factors. Pool School will teach you how to do all of these things. And the users on this forum will help you with anything after that.

What lonewolfarcher is telling you IS the solution to your stain problem. You have to start with a known status of your pool chemistry. Then bring anything that is deficient into specification. Then correct any remaining issues. The stains could be from metals in the chemicals Leslie's sold you. They could be Calcium scale due to CH too high. They could be pH and FC so far out that they are eating other parts of your pool. It takes time, but it's not terribly complicated or difficult. Test the water, adjust for pH, FC, CYA, CH and TA. Understand the relationships between these factors. Pool School will teach you how to do all of these things. And the users on this forum will help you with anything after that.

Post current test results please, we need to know what your current levels are. Also did you test it or the pool store, and how was it tested? test strips or an actual test kit? It makes a difference. Also, please add pool and equipment info to your signature, that will help a lot. BTW, I'm just down the road from you in Glen Rose

Are you testing yourself or having the pool store test it? If you want to get to know your pool, you should invest in a reliable test kit from tftestkits.net. the TF100 XL is the best option. If you want to rely on pool store testing, then all of your questions and concerns should be taken to them. It's hard for you and us to recommend solutions if your going back n forth between TFP and a pool store. I guess your first step is to decide who you want to deal with... TFP or the pool store.

If you invest a little of your time and money into your pool instead of a pool store you could learn everything you need to learn.. But we cant just yell out over the internet what you need without accurate test results. We see people like you all the time. When they finally decide to take the advice of these wonderfully unpaid volunteers who come here every single year to help people like you... they dont regret staying and learning pool school and their pools look amazing. Even the stained up ugly ones. The choice is yours. Good day.

Listen to the advice, I urge you. This place fixed my problems.

Last year my pool had CYA to high. This happens with chlorine tablets instead of only using liquid chlorine. Because of high CYA my chlorine's effectiveness was compromised and I experienced black algae blooms. So I took pool store advice, and dump algaecide into my pool.

This resulted in copper staining of my pool. Further, once the copper and CYA started mixing, I got copper cyanuarite which caused my ladders, and skimmer basket, and filter cartridge to turn purple.

This year I opened my pool to a swamp. Instead of repeating my mistakes, I found this place! I got a real testkit that could test FC, CC, CYA, pH, TA, and CH. I switched to liquid chlorine only. The only other chemicals I use are muriatic acid for lowering pH, baking soda and borax to raise pH. Also for my staining I use Jack's Magic Blue Stuff, though as my water is better balanced I am phasing its usage out.

My pool water is balanced, and sparkling, and I don't have to worry about the issues I encountered last year!

Reactions: Jackson5Fam
I tried the vitamin C and it didn’t do anything. Water was tested and the guy said add 3 More cups of muriatic acid and take my chlorine floater out as well as lower the thing that turns the salt into chlorine because there is too much chlorine in the pool. Does that help at all? He said all other levels are good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.