Newbie using HTH 6 way test kit

Counselor4444

Jun 22, 2020
West Orange, NJ
Hi
I'm a first time pool owner. Pool stats in signature. I have a HTH 6 way test kit. Just filled the pool this weekend, it is clear. No chemicals have been added yet.

Chlorine: no color
PH; at least a 7.8 but I think the red is slightly darker then that. Maybe not quite the 8.3 line though.
CYA: I don't see any cloudiness whatsoever when I add to the eyeball test tube and fill it up
Alkalinity: I added 10 drops of the Alkalinity Titrant and the liquid is still green so if I'm reading this right its very high.
Hardness: I didn't test this but we have very hard water

I have liquid 10% chlorine on hand.
I have a container of 1" chlorine tablets on hand.
I couldn't find muriatic acid but I ordered HTH down granules which should be ready for pickup later today.
I have baking soda and borax on hand.

I'm trying to do research myself because I like to learn but I'm a little confused. I read I should adjust the PH first? So that would be the PH down when it is ready later today. How much do you recommend? How long afterwards do I add chlorine? should i start with the liquid chlorine or tablets? Or can I add liquid chlorine or the tablets now? and the PH down later when its ready? Thank you!!

Welcome to TFP!

I would start by taking a peak at the following article

While pH and all the other chemicals play a part, chlorine is the star. Focus on getting the CYA and chlorine right first, then worry about the other stuff.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Please read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and browse through Pool School.

The first things you need to do are get CYA and chlorine in your pool, as well as get a proper test kit. We recommend the TF-100, but the Taylor K-2006C is also an option. Links below in my signature.

You need to use PoolMath and get your CYA up to 30 or 40, then add 3ppm chlorine to your pool every day until your test kit comes. Then you want to test your chlorine with the FAS-DPD test, and keep it within the range of 4 to 7, depending on your CYA.

All the other tests can wait until after you get your sanitation going.

You don't need to wait for the pH adjustment to get started.
If you have a floater for those 1" tablets, you can use them to raise FC and CYA. AND they're acidic, so they will start lowering pH and TA for you. 32 ounces -- 2 lbs -- of trichlor will raise FC by 50 and CYA by 30. So however long that takes to dissolve.

What I'd suggest is to 1) slather the kid with sunscreen 2) add 3 FC ( about 2 cups) of that bleach in, 3)pile a bunch of tablets in the floater and 4) toss the kids in. Total elapsed time, maybe 30 minutes.

You can adjust the pH later on after the powder arrives. A couple hours at high pH won't hurt the kids much if any -- they bathe in the same fill water, right?

An update: I keep adding the 1" tablets to the skimmer basket as they dissolve. I've gone through about 6 of them now. I just added more. I also added the 2 cups of liquid chlorine (10%) 2 days ago.

TODAY: water still clear
I tested for chlorine and ph. For the first time instead of no chlorine I have a tinge of yellow but it isn't much. Between .5 and 1.
PH high 8.2
previously tested high for alkalinity

I picked up Ph down granules and added 8 oz. according to package instructions. It's been an hour since I added them. I don't know how long it takes to kick in. I re-tested and the ph hasn't changed yet. I have not added any liquid chlorine today.

How long does it take for the ph down granules to work? should I add more liquid chlorine? How long after I add the ph down can I add chlorine? If the ph is still high tomorrow morning should I add more ph down? thank you!

How long does it take for the ph down granules to work? should I add more liquid chlorine? How long after I add the ph down can I add chlorine? If the ph is still high tomorrow morning should I add more ph down? thank you!
Once the powder is dissolved, it's pretty much like liquid acid, so an hour with the pump on and some brushing to kick up some cross-currents (think stirring cream into coffee on a giant scale) should be more than enough time. You can add bleach 15 minutes after adding acid, or vice versa. And you should. Target 3 FC in poolmath.

Update: after using pH down granules twice this week and not seeing any ph improvement I found and bought muriatic acid (31%). We were a little nervous handling it and only added 4 oz last night. This morning I added two cups of liquid chlorine 10%. Yesterday I also saw that I havd a slight ring of algae on the water line in my pool. Water looks clear.

Here is what I've got today: (see photo)
My chlorine is finally showing up. It looks to be around the 3. I don't think it's as dark as the 5. Do you think it's too high to swim in later? I'm guessing some will burn off by this afternoon?
pH still seems very high. Do we add more acid tonight? How much?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200626_094729.jpg
    20200626_094729.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 8
Your chlorine is definitely not too high, and is probably too low depending on your CYA. Do you have a full set of test results to post, including CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can get in up to 10 FC and maybe even higher now that you have some CYA If you're seeing algae, you need to scrub it off and double up on the bleach. And have you dissolved two pounds of tablets yet? Because until you do, you have too little CYA.

I can't tell the pH from that photo. all you really want is for it to be "peach." not orange and not pink, but in between.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.