Newbie to site, own pool for 3 yrs. HELP! LOL.

Leslie's water analysis report 4-22-16

FAC-6
TAC-6
CH-200
CYA-100
TA-80
PH-7.4
TDS-1000
PHO-1000

I dumped 2 inches of water, I know not enough, this morning. the ground is very saturated here right now. My kit should arrive in the next couple of days. Should I add a bottle of bleach(10%) each evening and run it or just wait for the test kit? Oh, I measured the pool per the chart, I was close- 24,900 gal. :)

Darla, that is a lovely pool and what appears to be crystal clear water. I wouldn't do much of anything right now other than feed it some liquid bleach each day (a pool's Happy Meal) until your new test kit arrives. But be warned ... when you get your test kit and have YOUR numbers, don't be surprised if they are completely different that the pool store's. With your numbers, you'll be 100% in charge, and it will feel fantastic!

Until your test kit gets there keep brushing the sides and running your cleaner. Keep your FC up. Look around and see where YOUR best buy is for bleach or chlorine. Bleach should be plain, unscented bleach. Look for the % and make sure it has a date code within 3 months as bleach will degrade over time.

Kim:cat:

Ok folks, my test kit arrived but I didn't add the FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC's test so I had to order it just now lol. newbie, what can I say. Here are my readings so far:

CL-5
BR-10
PH-7.6
TA-50
CYA-20 ( I am unsure of this reading, I did it like instructions said but seems low to me. Any ideas?)
CH-500

It said to read indoors, so I did. Being anal I read them outside also LOL but its cloudy today, no sunshine yet. Same readings. :) Any advice with these readings until my FAS/DPD test stuff arrives? I also used 2 bottles of 10% bleach yesterday, 1 hour apart, in the pool to get it going. Maybe this affected the CYA reading?? Thanks!!!

Darla, the CYA is one of your most critical tests. If it's as cloudy there as here in S.A, you won't get a good reading because you really need bright light around you (sun at your back) during the test. The bleach you added won't effect the CYA reading, but if its high enough it could effect pH. As those number look right now, I wouldn't do much of anything except maybe check CL later this evening to make sure it's still reading dark. No need to include the bromine (BR) measurement.

Your CH is a bit high, but not earth-shattering. It just means that until natural water exchange takes place to lower it, you will need to watch pH and TA to ensure those never get too high. By keeping pH and TA on the lower side of the range, it helps counter-balance the higher CH. For now, let's hope we don't get any more flooding or hail and just maintain status-quo until you can get a good CYA reading. When you get ready for the CYA test, refer to this:
Proper lighting is important for the CYA test. You want to test for CYA outside on a sunny day, but keep the skinny view tube in the shade. Taylor recommends standing in the sun with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

- - - Updated - - -

Once your FAS-DPD portion arrives, let us know if you have any questions on how to perform that test. Once you do it a couple times, you'll be a pro at it. :)

Roger that. I have another 24 hr. shift tomorrow and REALLY hope it does not flood like the forecasts are saying. :-(
It is saying 100% where I am. This summer I will have the best tan ever! Its usually super hot here after rains like this LOL!

Finally received all my testing goodies! Here are the numbers, minus the CYA test as it is still cloudy here in Texas:

FC-8
CC-.05
CH-350
TA-60
PH-7.2

Until I get a sunny day, which may be tomorrow, I am just doing the basics. So far its looking good, minus the algae growing lol. Yes, it's still bad BUT we have had a lot of rain and I am dumping water so I have not added a lot of chlorine. Thanks for your help folks!! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Those appear to be quite good numbers Darla, minus the CYA of course. Congrats on the test kit! Weird weather today right? Good yard work weather though. :) Looks like you're about ready to SLAM as soon as you can confirm the CYA. If you have any questions before hand, just let us know.

I personally do not. I'm a lazy TFP'er. :) Actually, my water levels stay quite stable throughout the season and I'm very pleased with the clarity and condition of the pool water, so I don't mess with it. Once you get the CYA tested and settle-down into a groove this season, you might not even think about it. If some of your chemical levels tend to bounce around a bit, then maybe consider it a little later. Come on :sun: Well, I say that now. I just cut the grass in nice chilly weather. It won't be that nice in August. :(

My CYA is 30!!! Woohoo! Not as the pool place stated lol. I know, imagine that. :) On to the SLAM. Will start that tomorrow. Also I have what appears to be calcium deposits on my plaster. The previous owner did use an algecide but I am not sure if it was a constant thing. The water here is not terribly high in calcium so I guess its calcium deposits, not really sure lol. Just makes sense that it is. Any ideas?

And I read about the FC at night so I am on it folks lol. :)

Last edited:
Yes, muriatic acid. If you are able to get to the deposits, try to obtain them anyway that's comfortable for you. Gently scraping sure. Some folks have picked-up stuff like that with their automated cleaner. But if the water's still too cold for you, they aren't going anywhere. You can get them soon enough. But now that you are becoming more aware of your pool's chemical levels, next time you load all your test results into Poolmath, look towards the bottom at the CSI row. If your CSI is climbing higher on the positive side above zero (i.e. 0.55), that shows your plaster is more prone to scaling. Anything close to or above 0.6 is a concern. At that point, you either lower CH (water exchange) or simply lower TA and pH to help off-set the high CH level to get closer to zero (neutral). Experiment with the Poolmath Calculator and you'll see what I mean.

I was wondering about that part. I have read so much on TPF page I'm dizzy lol. I cant remember where the levels for each chemical was either lol. My TA should be between 50-80 right? Pool temp is 82 today. A bit chilly out to get in for now so I will wait lol.

CSI says -0.52 per the reading from 2 days ago and my CYA reading today.

Last edited:
nice, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

1 more thing before I start this, I backwashed a month ago. My pump reading is 18 but I should not go over 23 on my system. If I get close during the slam, is it ok if I backwash it for 20-30 seconds to bring down the pressure?

I read it again and yes I can lol. I only lost 1/2 a point overnight. 3 ppm this morning. Starting the slam shortly. :)

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.