Newbie Spa Mode Question

Jun 28, 2016
Houston, TX
I recently purchased a home and unfortunately none of the plumbing was labeled. I have been able to figure out most things through trial and error but I am stuck on one last issue. My pool has 4 inlet valves. One is the main, then skimmer, pool floor and spa floor. I then have my outlets into pool and spa. When I set to spa suction (or what I think is spa suction) and spa only outlets I still get over flow from my spa waterfall into the pool. Every suction setting I have tried leaves me with this over flow. My question is this normal and if not how do I stop it? In my mind I am just losing hot water into my pool when it could be staying in my spa making it heat quicker. I don't mind a little spill over but as it is now its basically the same amount of spill I get when the equipment is set to pool spa mode not just spa. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Derek

Derek,

If you have set the valves to take water from the Spa and Return water to the Spa, then in theory the water should not be overflowing into the pool. So either the valves are not set correctly, or you have another source of water going into your Spa.

Please post a couple of pictures of your equipment pad, and I'm sure someone here will know the answer.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

How many skimmers and pool drains do you have in the pool? Usually on the inlet side you have pool main drain, skimmer, and then one for the spa main drain. However you have an extra one so either you have two skimmers or two pools drains.

In your picture the one you have labeled ad MAIN is actually your spa main drain not the pool main drain. Turn that one 180 degrees to pull water only from the spa. On your returns/outlets, I'm guessing the one that is closest to the check valve is the spa. The other one is for the pool. Just my guess.

OK, I do have 2 Skimmers and 2 visible floor drains in my pool area, also have a Polaris port if that matters. I am fairly certain the valve labeled Skimmer did shut them both off though. So it's possible that controls those two skimmers and the other two are my floor drains. If I am understanding correctly it really doesn't matter since when I turn the valve I have labeled main 180 degrees that will switch to spa side anyway and all those other valves are pool side. This correct? I never turned this valve past 90 since when I did that it closed and I just assumed it was the main valve for the whole pump. The returns you are correct as that was the one part I was able to determine through trial and error.

Cheers,
Derek

Derek,

I think Paul has got you pointed in the right direction..

The valve you have labeled as "Main" is the only valve, in that chain, that can select between the Spa and Pool intakes. So, that makes the three vertical valves pool related. I suspect Main Drain and Skimmer #1 and Skimmer #2. If you only have one skimmer then maybe an unused vacuum port???

I can't really help with the return side, as I can't tell much with the angle of the picture. But, just like the intake side, there should be one valve that only selects between the Spa and the Pool returns. I also would think it would be the valve closest to the vertical check valve, but I can't tell for sure.

Jim R.

*** I just type too darn slow... So, your two bottom drains are plumbed together and come up to your pad to just one of the valves, I suspect the one you marked as SPA.. The other two are Skimmer #1 and #2.

**** Please let us know if this solves your spillover issue..

Thanks again,

Jim R.

I was able to check the spa / pool valve last night and you guys were correct. I was able to get it to pull and return to spa only. I am still dealing with my spa draining to pool level once my pump stops when it is set to share pool and spa but I am fairly sure I just need to replace my check valve. I really appreciate you guys being able to help me out so quickly. My daughter will be very happy she can have the hot tub going for her birthday in a couple weeks.

Cheers,
Derek

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.