Newbie SLAMM (Sick of losing all my money)

Day 21 Update:

I can see the bottom of the pool!!!
It is still a tad cloudy but it is definitely looking like a pool again. Hoping to be good to go in a few days!

Now for another question. I will be going on vacation in a couple weeks for about 10 days. What can I do to avoid having to do this all over again when I get back?

I am planning to put 3 pucks in and keep the filter and robot vacuum going. Will that be good enough? Unfortunately I don't have anyone that can help me out while I am gone.

If you are to the point you have an idea of a maintenance dose I'd ask a neighbor to add chlorine for you. Pucks will raise your CYA over time. You can use Pool Math to figure out if three will be a problem. Years ago I got my CYA level to the point I had to drain the pool so I'm really cautious with pucks. On a typical day with the cover on I need 1/3 - 1/2 gallon of shock per day. Since I made it easy for them one of my neighbors was willing to add a gallon every other day when I'm gone for more than a couple of days.

Or if your CYA is still relatively low you COULD go with the pucks in a floater over your vacation.
But I would keep a close count on the pucks (consider serial numbering them:p and triple padlock the remaining pucks) and use pool math to figure out the CYA rise. Use that CYA until you have 2 matching sequential CYA readings.

Bring the pool up to shock level, add the pucks to the chlorinator (you've got room to spare on your CYA level) and go enjoy your vacation! You know what to do to solve any significant changes in the pool chemistry when you get back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.