Newbie SLAMM (Sick of losing all my money)

Hi folks, first post here.

We have had our pool for three seasons now. The first two were fine, I went with whatever the pool store water tests told me to do. My water was clear, life was good.

This year, when I opened in Spring I drained the pool completely because I had to shift it over a couple inches as it was a bit too close to a retaining wall. So I got it filled from a truck in April. I tested the water at the pool store and did my startup.

May around here was monsoon season. Non stop rain. It was ridiculous. (You may have heard about the flooding in Ellicott City, MD, I am not too far from there). My pool was cloudy, and I had a very hard time keeping the chlorine up. Went through multiple rounds of water test, add chemicals, not much improvement, repeat.

Then I went on vacation. We got back on Saturday 6/30 to a green pool. (it is greener now than it was when the photo was taken). So I decided screw the pool store, the chemicals they have been selling me haven't done squat. I need a better way, and I found this site. Probably a familiar story around here!

So anyway, I have been reading up on the SLAM method and I think I have a pretty good handle on what is involved. I ordered the Taylor K-2006 test kit and it should be here tomorrow. I know my ph is high (but not how much exactly, just used an aquarium water test kit for that) and the last time I got the water tested the CYA was about 27. The Free Chlorine is most likely zero at this point. I just got back from Home Depot with muriatic acid, stabilizer, and 15 gallons of bleach.

I am waiting on the test kit to tell me exactly what is going on tomorrow and then I am declaring war on this pool. I plan to show no mercy. I work at home so I will be able to monitor on a regular basis. I am committed to at least get one weekend this summer where we can actually swim in our pool!

For the record I have a 24 foot intex pool with a sand filter. I have an intex skimmer which I find to be rather ineffective.

I will post readings when the test kit comes. Any pointers would be welcomed. Wish me luck!

Thanks,

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_7079.jpg
    IMG_7079.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_7093 2.jpg
    IMG_7093 2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 395
Hello Bill and welcome to TFP! :wave: Time to SLAM Process!

dbtgallery.php

An excellent first post! :wave:

Document things each step of the way. If you take pictures in the same spot at roughly the same time every day, you'll be able to see your progress better than just by eyeball. It helps if there's a ladder or some steps, but if not, maybe set the vacuum pole in the water so you can watch it grow as visibility improves.

Thanks guys! Ok first dumb question. After reading a bit more, I now see that my K-2006 test kit may run out too quick for the SLAM. Anyone know the quickest way I can get more of what I will need asap? (Chlorine tests?) I would hate to run out and have to start all over again.

Second dumb question, I have never used Muriatic acid before. Do I just dump it in the pool or is there a special method I should know about? Can I just measure it with a pyrex measuring cup? I assume I need gloves and goggles.

Thanks, I'm sure I will have more questions. lol

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I also have a 24' Intex pool, and found this site the same way you did. These people won't steer you wrong.
Since I have been here, the only trips to the pool store have been for things like toys, and the odd hose, or fitting every once in a while.

Unlike you though, I find the Intex skimmer to be a great tool in helping me keep my pool clean. I keep my pool water right AT the top rail to gain as much water depth as I can. (I installed an overlap liner into it to allow for such things.)
Between the skimmer, and the Intex pool cleaner, I may need to vacuum manually once a month just to get what Zippy misses, which isn't much.

Let's concentrate on getting that pool sparkling first, then once you are actually enjoying the EASE of pool ownership, we can move onto other things that will make it even easier to maintain it.

Pour the acid in directly from the jug in front of where your water goes back into the pool with the pump running.

Do it slowly, and only add about 1/2 of what you THINK you are going to need at a time. test for results after 1/2hr or so of the water circulating.
Hold the jug partially in the water to pour, but be careful not to let the water go into the jug. Keep the jug opening above the water level.

With MA I measure it out into a plastic measure cup and pour slowly in front of your pool return. Use pool math to figure how much. My Ph is pretty stable but when I do have to tweak it I add less than what pool math says. It always easier to add more than to overshoot.

Is this what I should get to use with the K-2600 kit to make it through the SLAM? Does this site ship quickly?

XL Option

Sorry if a dumb question. I'm trying to be prepared for anything and thinking I should have just bought the XL kit to begin with. Live and learn.
Yes.

Check your CYA reagent, too.

And did you know they sell a CYA standard solution so you can see exactly what 50 looks like on a CYA test?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your story is my story! My pool looked worse than yours, but after just over 24 hours it is SO much improved. I test every hour to two. I am finding in the heat of the day, I need to test hourly. As the sun goes down and the nasty algae dies, I likely won't need to test so often. (yay!)

You need more DPD powder and FAS-DPD reagent than is in that K-2006. (It's what I bought, too.) I ordered the larger sizes from this site, but realized I would need it before it got here, so I ordered from Amazon and paid the $3.99 to get it here the next day. I will be swimming in DPD powder and FAS-DPD reagent, but at least I will be swimming!

You need more DPD powder and FAS-DPD reagent than is in that K-2006. (It's what I bought, too.) I ordered the larger sizes from this site, but realized I would need it before it got here, so I ordered from Amazon and paid the $3.99 to get it here the next day. I will be swimming in DPD powder and FAS-DPD reagent, but at least I will be swimming!

That's encouraging to hear! I'm hoping to be in your shoes in a couple days. Is this what you ordered from Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Replacement-Reagent-FAS-DPD-Refill/dp/B00QRI2UCA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1530917453&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=FAS-DPD+reagent&psc=1

You can try to upgrade your pool with a through the wall skimmer and hard pipe your pump/sand filter. Use the search and you will find lots of pictures of AGP upgrades.
Make sure you test with the 10ml sample for FC during the slam that will save on reagents.

Felipe

Well I've got a problem. The test kit has not arrived yet.

I have been testing the PH with an aquarium water test kit. It is stuck around 7.6. I threw in 2 cups of muriatic acid and it did not change. Before I threw in some more I decided to test for Ammonia and bingo I have it. I'd say about 3 PPM according this test. I just threw in a container of bleach to try to slow the green monster. The pool looks like pea soup.

What can I do about Ammonia?

Should I keep throwing in bleach until the test gets here? I don't want to waste it.

Well I've got a problem. The test kit has not arrived yet.

I have been testing the PH with an aquarium water test kit. It is stuck around 7.6. I threw in 2 cups of muriatic acid and it did not change. Before I threw in some more I decided to test for Ammonia and bingo I have it. I'd say about 3 PPM according this test. I just threw in a container of bleach to try to slow the green monster. The pool looks like pea soup.

What can I do about Ammonia?

Should I keep throwing in bleach until the test gets here? I don't want to waste it.
It takes roughly 10X as much bleach as ammonia to neutralize it. Since you have tested for it, I say, "Deal with it." Add 30 FC, maybe split up into three doses half an hour apart (or longer) so you don't risk bleaching the liner. And then after that maybe 5 FC per day until the kit refills come and you can attack it scientifically.

Last edited:
My PH is still approximately 7.6. Is that ok? I'm afraid to try to lower it too much before I get the better test kit. Does the CYA matter that much for now? I think it's around 30-35 but I can't know for sure until tomorrow.

Poolmath is telling me 577 oz of bleach to reach 30 FC from 0. You think I should just go for it and dump 5 containers of bleach in? Over the course of 2 hours or so?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.