newbie seeking advice

Oct 15, 2015
DFW, TX
read a bunch of here while waiting on our 6+ month build and we've had plaster for about 35 days now. PB has turned the keys over to us so we're in charge now. The SWG isn't doing anything in the winter now so we're chlorinating with some pucks that came with our startup for the moment. I've been keeping an eye on the pH as the plaster cures but took a full reading today:

ph: 7.4
CH: 300
TA: 30
FC: 2-3
CYA: 30

it looks like I need to raise both TA to between 60-80 and the CYA to 70-80? We're plaster with SWG but should I be targeting CYA 30-50 (plaster/bleech recommended levels) since we'll be chlorinating with pucks and/or bleach until we can start to use the SWG once the water warms up?

that's going to be quite a bit of CYA in a 17k pool so was wondering if I should opt for liquid stabilizer over dry since I figured the dry CYA might take a while to dissolve?

You can buy the liquid gold stabilizer if you want but the powder does not take that long if you help it out by squeezing the sock. BUT if you water is as cold as mine that will NOT be fun LOL. It is up to you.

You do need to push the TA up. Shoot for 60 and see what your PH says. Remember if your PH is happy with the TA at 60 then all is good. PH=happy when it does not go up extra fast. With your plaster being so new your PH will go up faster until the plaster cures. It could be a few months to several months (notice how vague that is-each pool is so different).

Make sure you are keeping a log of your test results. That will really help you see what is happening to your pool and you wil start to see patterns.

Kim:kim:

Make sure you are keeping a log of your test results. That will really help you see what is happening to your pool and you wil start to see patterns.

+1 on this, get yourself a small note book and keep track of your test results including the water temp, I have found this to very valuable in tracking what I have needed to do to get the pool back into shape from a green swamp, you have the advantage of starting new so that is a huge bonus.

Steve

Correct, the temp value is the water temp. It does greatly affect the CSI so play with different numbers and get an idea of what will happen as the water warms.

If I were you and if you have a big tub of pucks, I would continue to use the pucks for the rest of the winter and then adjust your CYA when you water gets close to 60 or 65 degrees. CYA adjusts up very easy, down - not so much. Congrats!

+1 on this, get yourself a small note book and keep track of your test results including the water temp, I have found this to very valuable in tracking what I have needed to do to get the pool back into shape from a green swamp, you have the advantage of starting new so that is a huge bonus.

Steve

Or if you're more electronically inclined, you can use the handy site developed by a fellow TFP member at Pool Logger App - Log and manage your pool chemicals . I love it and it's easier than maintaining the spreadsheet I used to use. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.