Newbie Sand Filter and SWG pump questions

May 12, 2017
S. E Michigan
My first pool has been up and running for just about a week now thanks to all the great help here! However, I have a few questions that I am hoping to get some help with:

When running my SWG and sand filter pump, I assume they have to run simultaneously if on a timer? For instance, the sand filter will only run when the filter is running correct? I set the timers on both of them at the same time for 6 hours per day, so they both come on about 8am everyday. My pool looks great, and I am pretty happy with my numbers for being such a newbie at all of this! I just want to make sure that I am running it correctly AND long enough.

I noticed some air inside of the sand pump leaf catcher debris basket (I think thats what its called!). Is that bad that there is air in there? If so, how do I get it out? I have dual outlet suctions that lead into that basket.

Backwashing.... I only backwashed once and thats when I first filled up the pool. How often should this be done. I honestly had no idea what backwashing was until I seen it on the boards here.

Good job on getting things set up and running.
The filter and SWCG only work when the pump is running. I assume you can run the pump on one timer and the SWCG is on an additional timer. You can run the pump and filter the water for longer than you run the SWCG. You need to run the pump long enough to keep the pool clean and the SWCG long enough to generate the chlorine you need each day to stay above your target FC for your CYA.

If there is air inside your pump basket you might need to tighten the lid. Or the o-ring may need some silicone lube on it. If the amount of air stays the same and is small, then nothing needs to be done.

You will backwash when the PSI on your gauge is 25% greater than when the filter is clean.

Hope that helps.

Take care.

Yes, Thanks! Very helpful!

Both the SWCG and the pump have times on them to where I can run them simultaneously as they each have their own timers. Now when you say long enough to keep the pool clean, but exactly would equate to a "clean" pool. Currently running this at 6 hours each simultaneously, our water looks pretty darn good and crystal clear. Of course there are some small debris that settle at the bottom and I need to skim the top once in a while, but I dont expect the pump to do ALL the work :) I know the last time I checked my CYA, it was pretty close to my target. That darn CYA test is a challenge for my eyes! But since this was a new pool, I do know exactly how much was put in.

Good job on getting things set up and running.
The filter and SWCG only work when the pump is running. I assume you can run the pump on one timer and the SWCG is on an additional timer. You can run the pump and filter the water for longer than you run the SWCG. You need to run the pump long enough to keep the pool clean and the SWCG long enough to generate the chlorine you need each day to stay above your target FC for your CYA.

If there is air inside your pump basket you might need to tighten the lid. Or the o-ring may need some silicone lube on it. If the amount of air stays the same and is small, then nothing needs to be done.

You will backwash when the PSI on your gauge is 25% greater than when the filter is clean.

Hope that helps.

Take care.

Clean is what it sounds like yours is. If the 6 hours is also giving you enough FC for the day, stick with it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.