Newbie Questions And Pool Math

iain42

Oct 16, 2016
Little Rock AR
I'm very grateful for the pool math app it has been extremely helpful.

Is there a way to extract test results and chemicas added so I can create a graph in excel of trends and effects?

DISCLAIMER:
I am extremely sensitive to chlorine so we are actually trying a Del ozone eclipse 20 unit for sanitation to keep chlorine levels lower. Except for when it is very hot or high bather load Del says we can run as low as .5 to 2ppm of chlorine. Levels around 2.5ppm or under don't bother me but my friends pool always gives me issues so so far so good. I just wanted to get that out of the way as I know it isn't popular around here. Pool has been crystal clear since we opened it April 29th.

In all other manners I have been following TFP method using 10% bleach, muratic acid, baking soda, and liquid stabilizer to balance chemicals. I am new at this.

I did a full round of testing after a storm and high load of debris in pool. Cleaned debris and vaccumed pool then tested.

1.6 FC
added enough chorine to bring up to 2.2

0 CC

7.4 PH
added muratic to drop to 6.8 as it has no trouble slowly climbing and it was recommended to drop TA

TA 120
is there a way to get lower TA other than lowering PH app doesn't tell me advice appreciated? Is this higher level ok?

CH 210
slowly raising from 130 last week

CYA 40
maybe 35 i'm still getting hang of dissappearing dot seems like voodoo reading chicken bones

TEMP 83

Cleaned my filter for the first time yesterday. I won't let it go so long every again. What I wasn't warned about was the smell. LOL! YIKES!

Just checking in to see if I am on the right track.

Any advice appreciated.

Your FC is terribly low, and you will be inviting algae to the party I fear.

Ozone is more suited for indoor pools that don't use a lot of CYA, so the chlorine numbers are lower yet they need xtra cleaning help.

The only water that is getting "clean" with ozone is the water going directly over the device at that moment. The moment it mixes into the rest of the water it is just as "dirty" as that water is and there is no residual sanitation to prevent person to person transmission (you know, a little herpes, maybe some diarrhea..those basic cooties one wants to avoid).

I would suggest you take that FC up, to the appropriate levels based on CYA [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] and just forget that the ozone is running. If it helps anything, great. If not, you'll know it isn't worth a shot anyway.

NurseMaddie, RN, CCRN, cootie fighter :flower:

I retested CYA after watching several videos and I was prematurely calling it 40 it is more like 30. 3-5 minimum of 2. I'll try keeping it at 3-4ppm and see if it bothers me.

I had a few more questions above.

Is there a way to extract test results and chemicas added so I can create a graph in excel of trends and effects? I'd hate to track everything in two places.

TA 120
is there a way to get lower TA other than lowering PH app doesn't tell me advice appreciated? Is this higher level ok?

At this time the app is not able to create graphs, etc. There is a Windows App in the works that will take your data from the iOS or Android app and transfer it to the Windows app seamlessly. You will then be able to create graphs, charts, etc.

TA is not a value to stress over. It effects the rate of rise in pH. If you find pH is rising faster than you like to manage, then there is a process to lower the TA. See Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Maintaining an outdoor pool in the summer in the southern states is difficult at a CYA of 30. Be sure you test your FC in the late afternoon as that will be lowest it should be, just before adding liquid chlorine for the day.

FYI - when your FC is in the target level for your CYA, the active chlorine is a fraction of that seen in public swimming pools and most drinking water systems.

You’re not a newbie! Glad to hear your pool is looking great. I am very sensitive to pool water too. I had my first swim today with FC 7 and CYA of 80. Absolutely no irritation at all although I didn’t put my head under. You have probably read that when you are outside of the FC/CYA ratio the water is much harsher. I would bring FC up to target for your CYA and see how you go. I think you’ll find that the pools that irritate you have out of range ph as well as being unsanitary with high cya and low fc. Good to see you [emoji4]

At this time the app is not able to create graphs, etc. There is a Windows App in the works that will take your data from the iOS or Android app and transfer it to the Windows app seamlessly. You will then be able to create graphs, charts, etc.

TA is not a value to stress over. It effects the rate of rise in pH. If you find pH is rising faster than you like to manage, then there is a process to lower the TA. See Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Maintaining an outdoor pool in the summer in the southern states is difficult at a CYA of 30. Be sure you test your FC in the late afternoon as that will be lowest it should be, just before adding liquid chlorine for the day.

FYI - when your FC is in the target level for your CYA, the active chlorine is a fraction of that seen in public swimming pools and most drinking water systems.

I will look for the windows app or build my own. The Pool Math app is a amazing and I tried most of them.

Thanks for the info on TA I won't stress over it but I did follow direections lol or as they say RTFM. PH has been the easiest to keep in line. The PH test is the most straightforward.

I will start testing late afternoon. I have been testing in morning and evening as time permits.

Should I raise my CYA 40?

Thank you so much for the feedback it is greatly appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

You’re not a newbie! Glad to hear your pool is looking great. I am very sensitive to pool water too. I had my first swim today with FC 7 and CYA of 80. Absolutely no irritation at all although I didn’t put my head under. You have probably read that when you are outside of the FC/CYA ratio the water is much harsher. I would bring FC up to target for your CYA and see how you go. I think you’ll find that the pools that irritate you have out of range ph as well as being unsanitary with high cya and low fc. Good to see you [emoji4]

I feel like a newbie. I might have to see if there are any drugs for chlorine sensitivity. :cool:

I will look for the windows app or build my own. The Pool Math app is a amazing and I tried most of them.

Thanks for the info on TA I won't stress over it but I did follow direections lol or as they say RTFM. PH has been the easiest to keep in line. The PH test is the most straightforward.

I will start testing late afternoon. I have been testing in morning and evening as time permits.

Should I raise my CYA 40?

Thank you so much for the feedback it is greatly appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like a newbie. I might have to see if there are any drugs for chlorine sensitivity. :cool:

An antihistamine before you swim might do the job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.