Newbie Plumbing Question on Cleaning Pump Filter Basket

UtexasChris

Jun 10, 2020
Austin, TX
I opened my pool a few months ago and just decided it was time to start managing it myself. I'm now working on balancing the water that the pool company had outside of ranges.

I noticed I need to clean the main pump filter basket but want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I open it up and water comes pouring out (my pump and filter are below pool water line). Here's a copy of the plumbing schematic as well as a picture of the equipment pad.

Am I correct in thinking I need to close the circled valves in the picture and point the "off" tab in the direction of the (poorly drawn) yellow arrow? I'm thinking this will cause the water already in the filter to come out through the pump but then it should stop which should make it easy to empty the basket without alot of pressure preventing me from placing the lid back on and tightening.

Did I get this right?

IMG-5039.jpg

I opened my pool a few months ago and just decided it was time to start managing it myself. I'm now working on balancing the water that the pool company had outside of ranges.

I noticed I need to clean the main pump filter basket but want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I open it up and water comes pouring out (my pump and filter are below pool water line). Here's a copy of the plumbing schematic as well as a picture of the equipment pad.

Am I correct in thinking I need to close the circled valves in the picture and point the "off" tab in the direction of the (poorly drawn) yellow arrow? I'm thinking this will cause the water already in the filter to come out through the pump but then it should stop which should make it easy to empty the basket without alot of pressure preventing me from placing the lid back on and tightening.

Did I get this right?

View attachment 370894
I’m following this . I have a multi port valve and was wondering what valve turning on both sides is necessary to prevent water emptying the filter basket area (being I have an in ground pool and these devices are higher then the pool

Reactions: UtexasChris
Am I correct in thinking I need to close the circled valves in the picture and point the "off" tab in the direction of the (poorly drawn) yellow arrow?

You got it.

And triple check the valves are open BEFORE you turn on your pump.

Reactions: UtexasChris
And triple check the valves are open BEFORE you turn on your pump.
GUILTY!

Agents Of Shield Yes GIF by ABC Network

• Haha
Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.