Newbie needing some advice

jazzykys

Silver Supporter
Aug 20, 2021
RTP, NC
Hi. I am new to pool ownership but enjoying TFP. Thank you for all the advice I have an 8K gal FG pool under construction. Equipment: Pentair Intelliflo pump; pentair ichor 30; pentair salt filter; master temp 250; coverstar autocover; dolphin sigma. Pool is in the ground; deck construction underway. I have TF100 test kit. Current water is pretty clear after i did my first slam this week. Todays numbers: FC: 25; CC:1.0; CYA 40; ph 7.8; CH 150; TA 120. salt level 4000. I know the FC is pretty high so I have turned the SGW down to 20% output. Its raining pretty hard and will likely do so all day today. Should I do anything about the low CYA, CH and TA?

This time of year in NC you won't consume much FC due to the sun. I'd wait on the CYA and see what your consumption is going to be once the FC settles. It may take a while. Any CYA you add now, will likely get diluted by late spring when you will need it.

What is pretty clear though? Heads or tails clear at the deep end?

This time of year in NC you won't consume much FC due to the sun. I'd wait on the CYA and see what your consumption is going to be once the FC settles. It may take a while. Any CYA you add now, will likely get diluted by late spring when you will need it.

What is pretty clear though? Heads or tails clear at the deep end?
Thanks for the advice. Yes passed the quarter test at the deep end. I turned the SWCG down to 10% and I will watch. Hoping to use the pool a bit this week when the sun comes out. Not planning to "close the pool" for winter, just close the auto cover in bad weather. Sound ok?

This is my first year in Charlotte with an inground, but it seems that is a common practice here. You are a bit more North, but you are likely fine to do that. I plan to ensure the pump is running any time we have freezing weather, even though I do have the freeze protection automation. There are a lot of good reads here on how long it takes for pipes to freeze, and what you can do to prevent freezes when it will only be below freezing for short stretches. Protecting equipment and above ground pipes with a tarp and light bulb for instance.

Reactions: jazzykys
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.