Jun 11, 2021
Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey y'all!
I'm a new pool owner, just an Intex 10ft. I have done the research with water chem, have a good testing kit and all the tools needed.
But still having a problem keeping free chlorine levels up.
I balanced PH and alkalinity to acceptable ranges and got CYA to about 35. Then I added Leslie's Chlor brite shock and tested a few days later with my Taylor kit.
Free chlorine: 3-5, perfect.
After testing the water, the wife and I took a swim, I made sure I had one clorox tablet (1 inch) in my floater, then I put the cover back on the pool.
That was exactly one week ago.

Today I took the cover off to find the water semi-cloudy, the tablet had dissolved in the floater. I tested the water and test came back ZERO free chlorine.
The pool was covered for the whole week, pump was run 5.5 hours every day.
My free chlorine was 3-5 just a week ago. Even if the tablet dissolved say half way through the week, is it really possible for free chlorine to come down to zero that quickly in a covered pool? Should I be using the Leslies perfect products or something? any ideas?

Thanks for the reply. I read the ABC's before posting, have used all the calculators, I have a good Taylor kit, all that that I understand.
I had not read the "seasonal pool" articles.
It mentions if the water gets cloudy to drain and start over. (It is currently semi-cloudy) I'd rather not, it was expensive and time consuming to get PH, alkalinity, and CYA in line. I do have the 1000 gph pump on the way to me to replace the 350.
Still think I should drain and start over?

I've got the Taylor DPD deluxe

only thing it does not test for is CYA. But I used the calc and added enough to get to 40ppm using the liner sock method.
I am not sure if you read mu entire post but there is a bit of history I left out.
I did initially shock the pool the first time without correcting CYA, the water was cloudy at this point.
I scrubbed the sides with a mit (it was just a bit slimy), vacummed, this was without draining the pool.
After correcting CYA, I shocked with chlor brite again, and water was clear and 3-6 FC.
That is when I put the cover back on and thought I was good.
Maybe the slime never went away?
Seems like draining and starting over might be easier than SLAM?

You will need a FAS-DPD and CYA test kit to follow the full TFPC method. Up to you.

If you had algae (slimy) and could not follow the SLAM Process, time to drain and start over.

No -- get the two test kits and you can. Will take a week or so to get them online. Add chlorine every day to keep things status quo until you get the kits.

The initial problem is that you failed to keep enough chlorine in your pool from the start. You need to add chlorine daily. Your test kit will allow you to calculate how much.

Get a good test kit, follow the SLAM Process, and then keep your chlorine in the target range all the time for your CYA level according to this table: FC/CYA Levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, you are right. I have decided to drain and start over.

I am currently trying to figure out how to maintain chlorine. I have a floater with tabs now.
Do most Intex owners use liquid chlorine? Once SLAM is completed, do Intex owners have to add LC every day? Once a week?

I don't know what most intex owners do. People around here typically avoid floaters because they add as much stabilizer to the pool as they do chlorine, which means that in short order you need a very high level of chlorine to maintain sanitation. The only good way to lower your stabilizer level is to drain your pool.

To avoid this, we use our own test kits to understand how much chlorine our pools consume under different conditions, then we add enough chlorine, usually in liquid form, and usually daily, to keep our chlorine levels within the target range relative to stabilizer levels. In doing so, the water stays crystal clear and we rarely need to shock.

Reactions: Frrdm
Yep, you are right. I have decided to drain and start over.

I am currently trying to figure out how to maintain chlorine. I have a floater with tabs now.
Do most Intex owners use liquid chlorine? Once SLAM is completed, do Intex owners have to add LC every day? Once a week?
Almost every body on this site uses liquid or swcg(salt water chlorine generator). I started on this site with a small intex pool.. got my test kit back then and have carried it with me every move because I never wanted to be without it just in case

and you do need to add chlorine daily it gets consumed while sanitizing or the sun gods take it

Reactions: Frrdm
Ok. Here are is my fresh water fill (garden hose) test results.

FC: 0.22
TC: 1.4
PH: 8.7 (super high in TX)
TA: 52
CYA: 5

I would welcome any advice on opening.
I know I need to start with getting chlorine in there and maintaining.
That and CYA sock I plan on doing first.
Can I do this at the same time?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.