Newbie Looking for a Pool: Semi-IG or IG?

Aug 7, 2017
Central IL
Hello all!

First off, I want to say I've been reading TFP for a few weeks now and I am amazed with everyone's knowledge! It really helped answer a lot of questions!

My husband and I are looking at installing a new pool at our house. I love the water any way that I can get it, and have dreamed of owning a pool. My husband grew up in a 24' AG and knows all of the not so fun parts of owning a pool. Needless to say, he is willing to go with me on this one because I'm a teacher and have the entire summer off, so why not have a pool to enjoy during this time? We live in the country on 2 acres so we have been considering doing some type of large IG or semi-IG.

We went to look at Radiant and Doughboy this past Saturday. We were more interested in the Radiant and what it had to offer. We liked the aluminum walls and the ability to make it IG or semi-IG. I also liked the expandable liner option. Rough estimates came in at 25-30k installed for a 33' or 18'x33'. This made me nearly faint! I had NO idea it'd be even near that much (I was thinking $15K after visiting a local chain outdoor store and seeing their Sharkline Oasis!). This was way more than we thought it would be!

That's what really made me look at maybe doing a vinyl IG (fiberglass and concrete are WAY out of our price range). If I have to spend money, might as well go and do it right. The local pool dealer does Latham IG pools and has been in business for over 30 years. I am heading their way tomorrow to look at pricing for the IG. Main questions I have:

1. Polymer or steel wall? I know steel will eventually rust out, but how long? Polymer is plastic, and plastic eventually cracks. We live in Central Illinois, land of hot and humid summers and freezing cold winters.

2. How long to vinyl IGs last for? I'm sure question 1 plays into this for sure, but generally speaking in my area's conditions? I know I will have to have the liner replaced every 7-10 years @ $3-4K installed.

3. How DIY friendly is a vinyl IG? My husband is SUPER DIYer and can pretty much do anything construction or mechanical. He keeps saying he can do this no problem; I think it's a job better left to a business that has done this for 30+ years. I believe in him, but don't want to replace a liner early or mess up the dig, etc

4. How much is it each year to operate a pool? Chemicals, electricity, etc. We aren't doing a heater our first year to see how long we can get from the season naturally. We do have a friend who is giving us a natural gas pool heater (don't know specifics).

Sorry for all the questions, but that's what newbs do!

Well hello there! Welcome!

The only question I feel I can answer with authority is #4. I spend less than $100/year on pool supplies and chemicals. That is because when we had our pool installed with went with a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG) at the onset. SOooo... my chlorination needs are met and paid for in advance. We advocate for owners to test their own water and the test kit we recommend most is the TF-100 which costs $70. But once you have the kit you just buy replacement reagents every year or two and that's maybe $45??

Because we *test* our water and maintain it ourselves, we don't use expensive pool store potions. For example- Did you know that Alkalinity Increaser at Leslie's Pool Store online costs $15 for 5#?? Guess what Alkalinity Increaser is?!?--> It is freakin' BAKING SODA!!!! I can buy a big bag of that at Costco for half that price and it is the exact same chemical. Some pools never need it, but I guarantee you a pool store will try to sell you some.

Soooooo, *I* think you should go with a vinyl lined, in ground pool, with a SWG, a small pool house your hubby can build and a big Margherita Machine for those hot teacher days off!!

But that's just me.......

Welcome to TFP. Please ask away any questions you have and someone around here will have an answer. :cool:

Maddie :flower:

I am also a teacher and LOVE having a pool for the summer! Mow then jump in the pool then go finish mowing LOL

Hubby-can he dig a big hole? Do you have somewhere to put the dirt that comes out of the hole?

See many people have done a OB(Owner build) in that they did what they could and hire out what they needed like electric and plumbing. Really being a general contractor. The hardest part is finding the trades you need and make sure they do good work. Someone will need to be there while is work is getting started for each part of the build.

Side of pool-it is up to you. As you stated there are good and bad about both. Go with what you can find at the price you wallet can take.

If you use the TFP way your liner will last a long time! I used the pool store with my first pool.........lets just say that pool is no longer with us :(

:hug: I can't wait to see what you decide to do!

Kim:kim:

I have seen a lot of pictures of Radiant pools put half way/in the ground. They are very attractive, but I don't know if they'll sell you one without them being the ones to install it.

Kim :kim: can attest to this- if you take *care* of your water, it helps take care of your pool and the liner will last longer. I think she killed her first pool somehow. LOL

Pools don't have to be super expensive either. A lot of AGP have fabulous DIY decks around them and they almost appear "in ground". If your husband is handy he can do a lot with an AGP.

Keep us posted on what you decide please :)

Maddie :flower:

< First day of school here in Georgia today... whoohooo! :drown:>

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.