Newbie - just used TF-100 test kit... need advice

Jul 28, 2020
Las Vegas
We've had our 8403-gallon Intex above-ground pool for 1 week and our TF-100 test kit just arrived.

Our numbers are as follows:

PH: 8.2
FC: 2
CC: .5
TA: 210
Salt: 5000 (I know, super high)
CH: 300
CYA: 30

We have a SWG (ECO15110-2) and have been running it 9 hours every evening.

Wondering what steps I should take, and in what order, to improve my numbers. How much water should I drain to fix the salt content? How many hours should I run the SWG? (I looked at the pool math app and it looks like I need to know the percentage output for the SWG and I don't know how to find that percentage). Do borates matter? Temps in Vegas are 109 for the next 3 days.

Thanks in advance!!

And then I got different numbers from Leslie's Pool, using a sample taken 2 hours later:

PH: 8.2
FC: 0
CC/TC: 0
TA: 67 (but "adjusted" due to the effect of CyA on tested Total Alkalinity)
Salt: 4000
CH: 160
CYA: 99

Planning on removing/replacing 20% of the pool water. Any ideas why the numbers are so different?

Repeat your salt test. And don't trust anything Leslie's tested. "99" on the CYA is their code for off the scale. It doesn't jibe at all with your 30 reading. Unless you fed that pool a whole bunch of pucks or dichlor shock, it won't be that high.

Also, have a look at the SWG. If it shows it's working and there are no warning lights on, it's happy.

If you do decide to drain, do that first. Then refill. Give it time to mix. You'll need to raise CYA some, And adjust pH. And add some bleach to hold you until the SWG can catch up. Sequence: bleach, mess with CYA and sock, then acid. Fussing with the sock should have taken enough time to space the acid and chlorine.

Reactions: Deborah Westbrook
I'm sure our salt is high, because the Intex instruction booklet said to add 210 pounds of salt for the 8403 gallon pool to achieve 3000 ppm, and my husband accidentally added 240 pounds. But the SWG generator has been running fine all week, and no error code has ever shown up. It's supposed to give me a "Code 92" if the salt is too high, and it has never done that. So does this mean I won't need to drain the pool after all?

Also, when I started up the pool, I added 2.1 pounds of CYA, as per the instructions. So it was surprising to get such a low number on my test.

The only things I've ever added to this pool were the salt, and the CYA. Haven't added anything else yet.

Welcome to the forum!
If the SWCG is generating chlorine, I would not change a thing. How did you test your 4000 ppm?
At 4000 ppm, most people can taste the salt in the water. At 3200 ppm, few people can taste the salt.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

I'm sure our salt is high, because the Intex instruction booklet said to add 210 pounds of salt for the 8403 gallon pool to achieve 3000 ppm, and my husband accidentally added 240 pounds. But the SWG generator has been running fine all week, and no error code has ever shown up. It's supposed to give me a "Code 92" if the salt is too high, and it has never done that. So does this mean I won't need to drain the pool after all?
Repeat the test and see . But my gut says no drain.
Also, when I started up the pool, I added 2.1 pounds of CYA, as per the instructions. So it was surprising to get such a low number on my test.
Down at the bottom of poolmath where it has Effects of Adding Chemicals, it says 33 ounces of stabilizer in 8400 gallons of water raises CYA by 29. Pretty close to your 30 test, wouldn't you say? Lots closer than Leslie's 99.
The only things I've ever added to this pool were the salt, and the CYA. Haven't added anything else yet.
Then so far you're doing pretty good. The CYA is where you targeted and the SWG is working. You'll want higher CYA than Intex asks for -- especially since you're dealing with the Vegas sun. That will help retain FC so it should climb. But in the meantime, bleach, mess with CYA and sock, then acid.

And use your TA numbers in poolmath. It takes care of adjusting for you. '

Repeat the test and see . But my gut says no drain. Down at the bottom of poolmath where it has Effects of Adding Chemicals, it says 33 ounces of stabilizer in 8400 gallons of water raises CYA by 29. Pretty close to your 30 test, wouldn't you say? Lots closer than Leslie's 99. Then so far you're doing pretty good. The CYA is where you targeted and the SWG is working. You'll want higher CYA than Intex asks for -- especially since you're dealing with the Vegas sun. That will help retain FC so it should climb. But in the meantime, bleach, mess with CYA and sock, then acid.

And use your TA numbers in poolmath. It takes care of adjusting for you. '

I can't thank you enough. This forum is really wonderful!!!!

Reactions: cme4oil

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.