Newbie - Intex Sand Filter

Jun 1, 2015
Lexington, SC
Hello all, I’m new here and have a question about selecting the correct size filter for my pool. I have an Intex 16’x48” pool (approximately 5,000 gallons). I was running an upgraded Intex 2,500 gph cartridge pump that just died (stock pump was I believe 1500 gph). I put the brand new stock pump on and it is way underpowered so I was looking at an Intex sand filter. The option are 12” (2,100 gph/1,600 gph turnover), 14” (2,800 gph/2,150 gph turnover), and 16” (3,000 gph/2,450 gph turnover). What would you recommend? The 14” and 16” are nearly identical in price so I was going to go 16”, but I see on both the 14” and 16”, they say minimum pool size 5,500 gallons and a max of like 17,000 and 19,000 gallons respectively. Is there any issue with running pump/filter combo that is “too large”? Should I go 16” as originally planned or go down to the 12”? I’m also not opposed to a non-Intex filter in the sub $200 range if there is something better. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Welcome to the forumwave:

Don't worry about being too large. Intex is infamous for pumps and filters that underperform. There is MUCH better equipment on the market but you will spend a lot more than $200.

There is really no such thing as "minimum pool size" Get the biggest filter you can.

Thanks all for the input. I did end up ordering the 16” and should have it by next Wednesday. I’ve seen mentions of running zeosand or glass media instead of traditional pool sand. Any thoughts? I saw Lowe’s sells Clorox Pool Sand Plus, which appears to be a combo or zeolite and silica sand. Is it worth spending the extra money or should I just start with normal sand?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.