Newbie in Phoenix, AZ - Green Pool and BBB method

It's important to not just guesstimate and pour things into the pool. You should be able to get a FC measurement in the next day or two as the chlorine starts to dissipate. Once you can get accurate readings, post them here and these folks will tell you exactly what to do. But the first part - to get accurate readings - is up to you. Your Ph reading is also somewhat suspect b/c usually when FC is "off the charts high" the Ph gives a false high reading. How'd you determine your CYA is 200? Did you dilute your sample?

It's important to not just guesstimate and pour things into the pool. You should be able to get a FC measurement in the next day or two as the chlorine starts to dissipate. Once you can get accurate readings, post them here and these folks will tell you exactly what to do. But the first part - to get accurate readings - is up to you. Your Ph reading is also somewhat suspect b/c usually when FC is "off the charts high" the Ph gives a false high reading. How'd you determine your CYA is 200? Did you dilute your sample?

Understood. Will do.

Yes, sample was diluted, per instructions.

I'm doing my best, and really appreciate the help! :)

With CYA of 200 or more you are going to have to do a series of drain and refills to reduce it to 50 or so, 30 is best for a SLAM. This is the only way to reduce CYA. I wouldn't guess that you are in an area with a high water table so pool float should not be a concern, assuming you have a gunite pool. The CYA will reduce by the amount you drain and fill. 50% drain, 50% reduction of CYA. Maybe start with half to get into the ballpark, because CYA could be much higher than 200, that is the max reading of the diluted test.

Take a look at the Chlorine / CYA Chart and see that shock level for 200 CYA is 78ppm. That is a LOT of bleach!

You can update your signature with your pool info so we can give the best advice as described here, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.