Newbie & Hoping for the best!

jblizzle, thanks! I actually found the info on adding bleach right where you pointed me to, so i guess i am picking up on how this all works! Thanks again for all your help! I just finished adding the bleach, going to check FC and CC in about an hour and go from there. Got my fingers crossed that it will pass the overnight FC loss test tonight (but seriously doubt it will happen LOL)!

Also make sure to give the sides and bottom a good brushing after adding your bleac. Brushing is part of the slam process anyway and will help mix any bleach that settled to the bottom into the pool. The more bleach you add the faster you tend to go and if you go too fast it tends to settle at the bottom

I did a FC test about an hour ago, then knocked the vial over as I was starting the CC test so I had to start over. Bottom line, I did 3 tests total for FC with results of 17, 25, & 20. I knocked over the first CC test, and the other 2 results were 1, & .5.
i took the first 2 samples from approximately the same spot in the pool, and the 3rd across the pool from them. I’m assuming that since the bleach had been in only about 1.5 hours that it hadn’t fully mixed yet and that is the reason for my mixed results. My pool has 2 return jets with the skimmer being the only return, and I don’t think that’s the best system for keeping the water mixed.
Otherwise I’m doing something wrong with the test. I made sure to clean the vials with tap water between each test, and followed the procedure very closely. (I even watched a YouTube video LOL)
Any thoughts?

How much dpd powder are you using? Usually one scoop is plenty for 10 ml. For slam levels maybe u r not using enough to properly measure the high chlorine levels. I think I remember reading that could be an issue.

An hr should be enough time to mix everything with the pump on. Maybe not in your pool? I can’t say for sure.

How much dpd powder are you using? Usually one scoop is plenty for 10 ml. For slam levels maybe u r not using enough to properly measure the high chlorine levels. I think I remember reading that could be an issue.

An hr should be enough time to mix everything with the pump on. Maybe not in your pool? I can’t say for sure.

I'm using 2 scoops dpd powder. Thats what the instructions say to do, correct? Now I did notice that it says deep in the test manual to drop reagents from a vertical bottle, and I have been holding it closer to horizontal than vertical. Maybe that is affecting the drop size and results?

Fyi - one scoop powder is enough for non-slam levels at 10 ml sample though the instructions do say use two. Saves the reagent. For the SLAM, use two scoops

Just tested FC & CC again.
This time result #1 was FC-18 & CC-.5
Result #2 was FC-17.5 & CC-.5
I am going to figure that .5ppm difference on 2 tests with an FC that high is probably not too far out of line.
Anyhow, going to use pool math to figure how much bleach to add, then its time for bed.
Thanks again, everyone!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This morning, I have an FC-18 and CC-.5
Assuming the amount of chlorine I added last night got me to somewhere between 19-20ppm FC, I should be very close to done with the SLAM?
I am going to go ahead and add enough this morning to get the water back up to 20 and check it again around lunch time. Does that sound like a decent plan?

Sounds like you didn’t measure FC after your last dosage last night so you are guessing. I would keep Slam levels for today, measure FC tonight before bed and see what the overnight loss result is tomorrow morning. You’re just guessing last nights is 1 or 2 FC loss. Thats the difference between just barely passing and definitely failing due to algae. And again- you’re basing it on a guess of last nights measure.

Yes be sure to test FC in the evening after the chlorine been added and thoroughly mixed, then test again in the early morning before any additions. Eliminate all assumptions. The pump is circulating all night during a slam correct?

The pool has been hanging around 16-19 today, with my last test an hour ago at 20 and .5. Right on for slam.
5008ea46-4a4e-4d7d-bc5c-121866ec655f

Thats what Ive read on here but I haven’t put swimming close to SLAM level to the test. I might let it drift a bit under SLAM to be sure