Newbie : diy cinder block inground bath/basin help

yul

Jul 26, 2020
Canada
Hello! First timer thanks for having me!

Looking at building an outdoors spa/bath/basin and would appreciate some tips please! I see there is a lot of info already available and would appreciate a kick starter please.

Looking at a 7x8 feet and 3 1/2 feet deep in the yard.

First question : can one person actually dig a hole like this by hand? It can take a week I don't mind. My soils is earth and some occasional rock.

Second question : I am looking at cinder blocks for the sides and sand bottom. We would build a custom liner to seal everything. Would simply pouring concrete in the block cells be enough to keep the structure solid? (it would only be 3 feet deep really).

My resources are a bit limited I need to be able to keep the project as simple and easy as possible.

Thanks!!

Thanks for your response. Being in Canada I am not sure there are any regulations in this sense (aside requiring a fence).

Can you please clarify in what sense? Because or cinder blocks or because it's diy?

Thanks!!

I built my pool myself, and used cinder block. I had a guy dig it with an excavator, because we went down about 8 foot. I formed the footers using 3/4 plywood cut in thirds, so 16" inch x 84" pieces, I had concrete deliveried, but if yours is small you could probably do it by hand.
I then put the cinder block up, traditional with mortar in the joints. Optionally there is a newer method of just stacking your block and pouring in the cores.
Nonetheless, once my block was up, about 5 foot tall walls, I cut rebar and put one piece in each core and poured 'mortar/core' filler in it.
I did a vermiculite floor, got the vermiculite from Royal Pool if I remember right - 40 lb bags, mix it just like mortar.

My pool is about 8 years old and flawless.

you can do it, dig that hole, go about 6" more than you want, add a truck load of rock 6", then pour your footers, put up the cinder block, sand or verm floor (make sure you plumb in a drain and or return). I am so darn proud of the work I did. I am going to head out shortly for a swim its 90 and sunny here.

Reactions: mickey4paws
Photos below (out of sequence) footers with the first row or two of block,, muddy bottom -- blockwork in progress. Photo of walls complete, stone in bottom & pool equip pad. I ran treated 2x6 along edge, which is where I screwed aluminum pool coping to. Truck with vermiculite floor supplies. it looks messy, but God was it fun. I did skim coat the inside of the block as my block work wasn't super even, I then used 3/8 foam on walls, just before the liner was installed.. These are from 2015 so 5 year old pool, not 8 as I mentioned above.

100_0152.JPG
Finished pool with fence being installed
100_0171.JPG

100_0133.JPG100_0117.JPGIMG_0756.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Hey thanks so much for the pointers and the great pics. My pool is definitely going to be smaller (<3 feet deep). I appreciate the engineering bit which I believe is only required for pools being close to the foundation which is not my case. Anyhow I will continue my planning and read up on this website. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.