Newbie : diy cinder block inground bath/basin help

yul

Jul 26, 2020
Canada
Hello! First timer thanks for having me!

Looking at building an outdoors spa/bath/basin and would appreciate some tips please! I see there is a lot of info already available and would appreciate a kick starter please.

Looking at a 7x8 feet and 3 1/2 feet deep in the yard.

First question : can one person actually dig a hole like this by hand? It can take a week I don't mind. My soils is earth and some occasional rock.

Second question : I am looking at cinder blocks for the sides and sand bottom. We would build a custom liner to seal everything. Would simply pouring concrete in the block cells be enough to keep the structure solid? (it would only be 3 feet deep really).

My resources are a bit limited I need to be able to keep the project as simple and easy as possible.

Thanks!!

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
What you are talking about will not pass inspection. You need to talk with your local inspections offices to see what is allowed in your area.

yul

Jul 26, 2020
Canada
Thanks for your response. Being in Canada I am not sure there are any regulations in this sense (aside requiring a fence).

Can you please clarify in what sense? Because or cinder blocks or because it's diy?

Thanks!!

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
You will have to have an engineer sign off on it to make sure it is safe and will not collapses. It is not a matter of just stacking up blocks in a hole.

dw9000

Aug 17, 2014
NW Ohio
I built my pool myself, and used cinder block. I had a guy dig it with an excavator, because we went down about 8 foot. I formed the footers using 3/4 plywood cut in thirds, so 16" inch x 84" pieces, I had concrete deliveried, but if yours is small you could probably do it by hand.
I then put the cinder block up, traditional with mortar in the joints. Optionally there is a newer method of just stacking your block and pouring in the cores.
Nonetheless, once my block was up, about 5 foot tall walls, I cut rebar and put one piece in each core and poured 'mortar/core' filler in it.
I did a vermiculite floor, got the vermiculite from Royal Pool if I remember right - 40 lb bags, mix it just like mortar.

My pool is about 8 years old and flawless.

you can do it, dig that hole, go about 6" more than you want, add a truck load of rock 6", then pour your footers, put up the cinder block, sand or verm floor (make sure you plumb in a drain and or return). I am so darn proud of the work I did. I am going to head out shortly for a swim its 90 and sunny here.

Reactions: mickey4paws

dw9000

Aug 17, 2014
NW Ohio
Photos below (out of sequence) footers with the first row or two of block,, muddy bottom -- blockwork in progress. Photo of walls complete, stone in bottom & pool equip pad. I ran treated 2x6 along edge, which is where I screwed aluminum pool coping to. Truck with vermiculite floor supplies. it looks messy, but God was it fun. I did skim coat the inside of the block as my block work wasn't super even, I then used 3/8 foam on walls, just before the liner was installed.. These are from 2015 so 5 year old pool, not 8 as I mentioned above.

100_0152.JPG
Finished pool with fence being installed
100_0171.JPG

100_0133.JPG100_0117.JPGIMG_0756.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude

yul

Jul 26, 2020
Canada
Hey thanks so much for the pointers and the great pics. My pool is definitely going to be smaller (<3 feet deep). I appreciate the engineering bit which I believe is only required for pools being close to the foundation which is not my case. Anyhow I will continue my planning and read up on this website. Thanks again!