NEWBIE bought pool abadoned early 2015 and full of debris, HELP

I have passed the OCLT test. I barely had to add bleach yesterday except for the time when the sun was directly on the pool. But the water is still super cloudy. My friend who referred me here said perhaps I didn't emphasize how big the wads of algae were that I was dealing with, like two hand size, when we first started working on this pool around April 28. Last night when you stood an looked down at the pool you could see white bits floating around under the surface of the water. Like A LOT, constant floating pieces, ranging from very small to about 1/4" wide. I went ahead and tried flocculant last night. I followed the directions exactly, I mean exactly. The water has a slight film on the top, but it always had some sort of residue on the surface that was broken up by the currents in the water. I don't see a difference in the pool. Flocculant, because it was suggested by the pool installer, is the last thing my husband will let me try before he pumps some/all/most (I really don't know) the water out of the pool and refills it.

FC 24
CC .5
pH 7.5
TA 120
CYA 60-65 (it is really hard for me to tell on this test)

Incidentally, I took my water to be tested at the pool store where I bought the flocculant. They used that water spin thing that tests the water for you. They had to have tested someone else's water because their results were as follows. Incidentally the woman who tested the water opened the bottle and was like "Whew! Chlorine!" I told her I had just shocked it. So even when she can smell the chlorine, wouldn't you question the following results:

FC .9 ppm (It's been 24 ppm for days)
CYA 20 ppm (When I do this test in my kit I am really trying hard to see the black dot on the bottom of the vial at 65 ppm)
pH 6.0

I can't find the paper with the results to share anymore with you, but it was shocking, SHOCKING at the difference. I thought because it was computerized it would be even more accurate. I think I'll take her another bottle of water and ask her to run it again. That her results couldn't possibly be correct. I'm sure she'll look at me like I have three eyes.

In the meantime, I am simply desperate. I have done all I could to get the pool right using the SLAM, but I just don't think my filter can get all this stuff in the pool and after 12 hours, the flocculant doesn't appear to have helped. I even doubled the dose. I am unsure if my husband will give me 36 more hours to find out if it worked.

your problem is filtering, you have the SLAM going good but it is going to take forever with that filter... Now you have floc in there, how are you getting it out? most that use it as a last ditch option and vacuum to waist...

Without a good filter it is going to take you weeks to finish..

Don't you just love pool store results, they may as well have a roulette wheel in the back they spin...

Agreed. I realize I have very low filtration, which is why I decided I just have to flock. In the meantime, should I call Hayward and ask them their recommendation for filter size? They already said the min was 75. I need a leg to stand on when I confront the pump/filter installer and ask him to change it out.

To answer your question about how I will vacuum to waste. I plan to vacuum to the skimmer--I have the adapter, a head, hose, and pole--and then you'll see in the picture I have included that just after the pump, there is a valve that I can dump the water out of the system before it gets to the filter. But so far the flock hasn't done anything that I can see at all.

IMG_20160509_131755841_HDR.jpg

5 hours from my test this morning

FC 23
CC .5

Is there a successful TFP person in the Fayetteville, NC area who can come take a look? I am simply at my wits end. I can't trust the pool people or the pool installer and this pool is a total nightmare. I have done everything I possibly can. If there is anyone in the area who is a major contributor who can come help me I would really, really appreciate it. Any suggestions? Any help? Any pool people that can be trusted in my area?

Hey there, I know you're frustrated and I am sorry...

Most of your problem is your filter, how much time between cleaning are you getting now? If it were me, the smallest filter I would get is a 320 sq ft, if you can get the installer out there make him see what is going on and how many times you have to clean a day..

If your CYA is 60/65 your SLAM FC is 24 but tonight it is down to 10, so you are definitely killing things in your pool, you just need to keep going, every time you drop FC below 20 you're really just keeping things from growing and not killing them..

You just have to keep your head up and keep up the great work you are doing, you will get there :)

Hey bownut, I'm not local or I'd swing by.

But I just wanted to add two things -

First, all filters, adequate or inadequate, typically take several days running 24/7 to clear after swamp condition, and technically, the slam isn't over til water is clear. So. Just wanted to make sure that your expectations were in line with this. I'll show you a series of pictures of my swamp slam over 12 days with a good sand filter so you can see what to expect.

Secondly, if you're on well, and you're thinking about a filter upgrade, you might like a sand filter. While they can be slower, it gives you options if you end up treating for metals. Just a personal preference on my part.

When you used the floc, did you turn the pump off for 12 hrs, then vac to waste? Floc is unreliable at best, but with a cartridge filter and moving water it would be even more useless ;)

Floc usually isn't compatible with slam since during a slam you're not supposed to shut filter down. So if you didn't, at this point I'd suggest you get up to slam level, make sure chlorine is well circulated, then shut the pump down for 12 hrs.

Hope that helps ;)

Here's the 12 days of shock and awe ;) the last half of pics are entirely the filter...FC was holding super well...but it still took another week to clear:

image.jpg

So I was thinking since this was a filter issue that I was done with the SLAM when I pass the OCLT test. The installer had suggested flock and I was desperate because my husband is threatening to empty half the pool! I have kept the shock level to 24. I do lose about 4-5 FC during the sunniest part of the day so the difference between Saturday morning and yesterday evening I chalked up loss from the sun. I called Hayward this morning and confirmed that pump and filter are sized for a 17,000-18,000. I've left a message for the installer. I'm pretty upset about this whole ordeal. I've been fighting a battle I simply couldn't win with the system he installed. The pump is also not right... Hayward said it should be 2HP. I've run out of R0087 for the FAS/DPD test, so I can't even test the water anymore. I ordered a 2 oz bottle and have it coming Priority.

Any suggestions for a Hayward filter that is sized as big as I need?

So I was thinking since this was a filter issue that I was done with the SLAM when I pass the OCLT test. The installer had suggested flock and I was desperate because my husband is threatening to empty half the pool! I have kept the shock level to 24. I do lose about 4-5 FC during the sunniest part of the day so the difference between Saturday morning and yesterday evening I chalked up loss from the sun. I called Hayward this morning and confirmed that pump and filter are sized for a 17,000-18,000. I've left a message for the installer. I'm pretty upset about this whole ordeal. I've been fighting a battle I simply couldn't win with the system he installed. The pump is also not right... Hayward said it should be 2HP. I've run out of R0087 for the FAS/DPD test, so I can't even test the water anymore. I ordered a 2 oz bottle and have it coming Priority.

Keep up the fight! I was right where you were but this method does work. I too put in the floc and wish i would have never seen that stuff. All it did for me was make the job much tougher. I started Saturday morning at 7 am worked all weekend checking water every hour, Last night the water was the clearest I can ever remember it being. I had to clean out my DE filter 4 times because of dead algae and floc but I got there and you can too. Test and add, sweep, sweep and sweep, clean filter, rinse and repeat. Its totally worth it once you are done! Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

:) found a couple things for you to look at... I do not know how far hopemills is but from the looks of the equipment it would be worth it.. just the sand filter alone new is 600 Amazon.com: Hayward S310T2 Pro-Series 30-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter for In-ground Pools: Patio, Lawn Garden

You VS pump would work great with that sand filter :) it does take 500 pounds of sand, just so you know... offer 200 bucks and see what they say :)

pool equipment no prices but nice looking equipment

And here I am 13 days later... the pool is still cloudy but I can see the bottom step on the pool... FINALLY.

Here is where I am, the plumbing for the pool is 1.5" pipe. It would be ok IF I had two operating returns. I have one pipe from the pump that splits and goes to the jets, but the other goes to the slide that was removed from the pool by the previous owner, so it has to be capped off. So, I can't get more than 50 gpm through the system.

I called the installer on the 16th complaining. He offered to install a 320 sq ft Astral Pool filter that day. Then it was the next day, then it was that Thursday. It ended up being Saturday the 21st, and instead of the Astral filter, he said he would install a Hayward S244 sand filter, which, he said, would take longer but would be easier to clean. I have been vacuuming and scooping daily since he installed it. The water is finally looking a bit cleare r. I think I am close to seeing the 19" vacuum head at the bottom of the pool on the shallow end. Yesterday, my husband and kids dove to the bottom of the pool with goggles and made sure everything was off the bottom of the pool. I am just still waiting for the filtration to do its job, which at this rate seems like forever. My husband is wanting to put the cartridge back and use both filtration systems (don't ask, right now we have the sand filter on the line going to where the slide used to be, it is so bad looking).

I am convinced that even though this guy might know how to install pools, he doesn't know the first thing about keeping them clean or operating the equipment. On the sand filter he told me how to backwash the system by turning the valve with the pump on to "waste". It took me about 24 hours before I realized there is a warning on the valve in ALL CAPS that says to turn off the pump first and that cleaning the filter is done on the BACKWASH setting. Have mercy. So, we know the sand filter he installed is probably an old one because the pressure gauge doesn't work and it leaks--we didn't pay for this one he just installed it for temporary use. I told my husband today that the installer better bring me brand new equipment including a warranty card if he wants to install the Astral Pool filter because I am not going to accept some equipment that was broken and at someone else's house.

Just thought I would give an update.

A sand filter can work very well and they are easier to use but they do take longer to clear...

It may sound crazzy but both filters working will get it clear faster and allow more flow through your system...

sorry your having problems but there is something good coming from all this, you are all learning how to take care of your pool and will be experts in no time :)

That would be a neat idea BUT may not be cost effective due to the gas to get to each house/pool each day.

We have seen where people have made money teaching people (like a pool school) how to care for their own pool. A flat fee to teach how then maybe a follow up as needed.

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.