Newbie. Begging for help with algae

With that much green your FC should be being used up. Have you brushed? Try that.

The ash is acidic normally so that is a good thing.

Have you used any pool store potions in this water in the recent past?

We have brushed. And brushed. And brushed. ;)

We haven't put anything in the pool that is "pool store" since about 2 weeks ago. Right before I found this page. We put a clorox shock treatment in (which actually did turn the pool cloudy blue) then at the advice of the pool store a clarifier. At that point the pool was cloudy and began to turn green again.

I am concerned about copper. Any copper algaecide use in the past? I suspect the Clorox shock had copper. Was the word Blue in the name?

Clarifier will just gum up your filter.

Eric:

Can you provide a detailed (as best as possible) timeline from the first day, where everything started? Also, are you testing with a recommended kit? We need to a little investigative work here to determine what the issue is. A green pool will turn from green to gray/cloudy pretty quickly after a few days with levels up to SLAM. Approximately 2 weeks later and still green, so we have to take a step back and see what the issue is. Is your pressure good, your returns have adequate flow, and everything else is working?

After not losing much FC (and the CYA testing seeming to be ambiguous at best) we decided to error on the side of higher CYA. We added more chlorine to get FC to 35. We are now seeing significant change. The pool has turned to a cloudy teal color instead of grass green. I know we still have serious CYA problems which we will slowly begin to dilute after getting rid of the algae. I think we are on our way! :)

We had the copper tested at a pool store after adding the clorox shock and the results were .1 ppm. Yes, it was the "blue" kind. Since then, however, we have added 21,000 gallons of city water.

I'm convinced our problem is and always was too high of CYA. After this algae battle, that is next on the list. I'll post a pic of our progress in a minute. :)

That is great - but - you stated that yesterday you were at 35FC and not getting any drop in FC. What changed?

Copy of 20180723_100157.jpg

I am forever grateful for the knowledge I have gained from this forum. After feeling so taken advantage of and pulling my hair out from conflicting information from the pool stores, I am so thankful they forced me into learning how to care for our pool ourselves. I guess they are good for something! Ha! ;)

I'm not sure to be honest. Maybe we just didn't give it enough time? I am still a little stumped on our lack of FC loss. It seems like we don't lose much at all (for hours) and then suddenly will lose 6 ppm. We did add a sock on the strainer basket, take the light out and take the steps out of the pool as well. There is clearly algae growing inside the steps. The steps (deep end) are plastic with a hole in the bottom. I wonder if that isn't actually where all this originated.

Question. We have a solar heating system (little black tubes). We have turned it off until this situation resolves. Do we need to do something to it to clean it as well? Run shock level chlorine through it?

Your solar panels should be fully draining when off. So no algae should be present there.

Be sure to brush. The algae creates a biofilm to resist chlorine attack. Brushing the pool disrupts that biofilm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My main concern is the Sand Filter. I know you been hard at work with the pool, but a Deep cleaning of the sand filter is a good option right now.
Keep at it, you are doing great!

Thank you! We have been looking into deep cleaning the sand. Our sand filter is a side mount. We have been Googling and YouTubing the best way to clean a side mount filter. Any tips/tricks are appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

Your solar panels should be fully draining when off. So no algae should be present there.

Be sure to brush. The algae creates a biofilm to resist chlorine attack. Brushing the pool disrupts that biofilm.

We are continuing to brush at least 2x/day. It gets harder during the week, but we are determined. Thank you for the info on the panels.

I am terrified to change anything or put anything back in the pool now. Ha!

Maintain the SLAM as best as possible. You may need a few more days if you can only test in the a.m. and p.m., but always add enough to bring to SLAM level. Backwash only when necessary. The advice on a deep sand cleaning is "great advice", but I suggest you wait until after the SLAM. Please provide a timeline daily on when you tested, what your levels were, what you added, etc., etc. This is the only way you will know that real progress is being made.

If the sand filter is full of algae it will take more time and chlorine to pass an OCLT!

Algae is always being "killed" by the presence of high chlorine, even in the sand filter. This is the reason why high levels must be maintained and the pump running 24/7. Regarding taking more time to pass the OCLT, that is very possible, but I have been lucky enough not to be at that stage, so really can not give you the "scientific answer" you are looking for. Although, once the OCLT is completed, it may not be a bad idea to clean out all filters, whether it be DE, cartridge or the sand filter.

It gets harder during the week, but we are determined.

One of the things TFP recommends, is to take a picture of the pool (preferably the steps, to give a depth perspective) from the same spot and during the same time of day (if possible).
As you progress, it is much easier to see the evidence of the change throughout time in picture form...plus we like seeing the progress!!

One of the things TFP recommends, is to take a picture of the pool (preferably the steps, to give a depth perspective) from the same spot and during the same time of day (if possible).
As you progress, it is much easier to see the evidence of the change throughout time in picture form...plus we like seeing the progress!!

I have been taking 3 pictures (same time, same location) everyday to see progress. Great idea and it has been so helpful to show how the hard work is paying off. We are at an almost fully blue pool (just cloudy) and I am over the moon about it.

I have been taking 3 pictures (same time, same location) everyday to see progress. Great idea and it has been so helpful to show how the hard work is paying off. We are at an almost fully blue pool (just cloudy) and I am over the moon about it.

Add DE powder, or a DE alternative like Fiber Clear. I started using the Fiber Clear about 2-3 weeks ago. The pressure has risen another .5 PSI, and the water just looks amazing, more polished than it has ever been. No sand filter cleaning either. I have always used skimmer socks from day 1, and there is little debris that enters the pool. Why touch something that is not broken. Recommend highly the Fiber Clear (purchased on E-Bay) 3 lb. bag for about $18, and this will last at least 3-5 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.