Newbie - balancing water help please

sandj44

May 22, 2020
Philadelphia, PA
Hello - I'm new to "DIY" pool chemicals. I just tested my water (Taylor K-2006 kit) and my levels are below. I'm getting different suggestions from Pool Math (2 lbs soda ash, .5 gal liquid Cl, 2 lbs stabilizer) vs. Pool Doctor ( 0.8lbs soda ash, 5.2 lbs granular Cl, 1.7 lbs stabilizer). it doesn't seem like the Pool Math is taking into account my CC because when i added that in the dosage of Cl didn't change. Any suggestions? Thank you :)
pH=7.2
TA = 90
FC = 1.0
CC=2.0
TC = 3.0
CYA =30 (just under)

Its probably time to do a SLAM process, friend! How does the water look?

PoolMath and Pool Doctor are not the same. All I can say is the pool owner is assumed to recognize that (per TFP) having CC of >0.5 requires consideration by owner as to why.

For example= if I keep my autocover on for extended periods and test immediately on opening, I might have 2 CC also. If I let the pool breath for 30-60 minutes and re-test I might only get a CC result of 0.5.

So. you have to use your judgment as to what might be going on.

Also- adding half a gallon of liquid chlorine to a pool that large is pretty insignificant. How much rise in FC did you put in to PoolMath ? 64oz of 10% LC will only raise your FC by 2.5ppm.

Maddie

Last edited:
Its probably time to do a SLAM process, friend! How does the water look?

PoolMath and Pool Doctor are not the same. All I can say is the pool owner is assumed to recognize that (per TFP) having CC of >0.5 requires consideration by owner as to why.

For example= if I keep my autocover on for extended periods and test immediately on opening, I might have 2 CC also. If I let the pool breath for 30-60 minutes and re-test I might only get a CC result of 0.5.

So. you have to use your judgment as to what might be going on.

Also- adding half a gallon of liquid chlorine to a pool that large is pretty insignificant. How much rise in FC did you put in to PoolMath ? 64oz of 10% LC will only raise your FC by 2.5ppm.

Maddie
Thanks Maddie! I tested after the pool had been open and breathing for several hours today. How much Cl would you suggest adding? I think I have CC leftover from the opening process a few weeks ago. It looks blue but I can see a haze to it.

Here is how the web version of PoolMath says to add Chlorine (6%) to take you up to slam process level of 12 (based in cya of 30). See ? If you have stronger liquid chlorine just run it thru PoolMath with the right strength.
Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 6.59.47 PM.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.