NEWB with MA

Tam Brogdon

Apr 24, 2020
St Augustine Florida
Hi all
Pool maintenance guy disappeared after this mustard algae showed up so I am taking a crash course here on this website to try to help my parents resolve this at least until lockdown is over.
I got a Taylor 2005 test kit and began this evening SLAMMING. PH was 8.0 and got it down to 7.4 then tested CYA and got 40 ( I question my accuracy) and FC was nil pure clear. I added 2.5 gallons liquid chlorine (25,000 concrete pool). Tested FC and it was 10.0 ( as high as test goes)
The chart for slamming shows I need an FC of 16.0.
I thought I bought the right ( High) kit....
Do I need another test kit?
Any other help is appreciated.
TB

T,

Welcome aboard! Mustard algae can be tough but it's no match for Marty's advice. Ask any questions and follow his advice. He'll have you in good shape soon. We're here to help and we don't sell anything so you get the straight scoop.

Chris

Welcome to the forum!
You need a FAS-DPD FC test kit. See TFTestkits.net for that kit.
The K2006C was the complete kit you wanted. Or the TF100, which is the better value.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thank you!
I'll look for the TF100.
I read the ABCs and studied the slamming, mustard algae solutions. This is all new to me so still struggling...lol
Thanks again

The Taylor 2005 kit has all but 1 of the tests you need so another option to buying another big kit is to buy the FAS-DPD test separately to be able to test higher levels of FC.

If you order from tftestkits.net, get this one FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC's test
If you order from somewhere else, get the Taylor K1515 test kit and since you are SLAMing, if it comes with the 0.75 oz bottles, go ahead and order a refill of the R-0871 reagent (2oz size) at the same time. You will need it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.