Newb - need help with chlorine smell.

BJP08

Oct 7, 2020
Fond du Lac, WI
We had a inground installed and I’m trying to figure out the chemicals. The pool tends to smell chlorine when open the auto cover and I’m not sure if I need to shock it with more liquid chlorine or not. My current alkaline is high and calcium I believe is a little low. I want to get this right. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 3865DDDE-BFA2-4BD4-A4DB-1DC5E57122F4.jpeg
    3865DDDE-BFA2-4BD4-A4DB-1DC5E57122F4.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 30
Howdy BJ.. that is quite the to-do list for April. Where did you get those test results? Are you testing with your own kit? Them there look like pool store test results. We do best with your own test kit.. looky here: Test Kits Compared

Based on those numbers, which I don't really trust you need more CYA and more Chlorine. If you are smelling chlorine its likely you have high CC's that is what produces the smell. You need to follow this chart:FC/CYA Levels

You have a very small amount of combined chlorine so there is no need to shock to decrease the chlorine smell you're noticing. It is normal to notice a smell when you remove a cover and it should resolve quickly as it airs out

Howdy BJ.. that is quite the to-do list for April. Where did you get those test results? Are you testing with your own kit? Them there look like pool store test results. We do best with your own test kit.. looky here: Test Kits Compared

Based on those numbers, which I don't really trust you need more CYA and more Chlorine. If you are smelling chlorine its likely you have high CC's that is what produces the smell. You need to follow this chart:FC/CYA Levels
My own test kit. My daughter has sensitive skin so I wanted something more precise than test strips.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 2
My own test kit. My daughter has sensitive skin so I wanted something more precise than test strips.
I have that kit as well as a taylor. The colour q is very accurate for chlorine and pH but I have found it unreliable for TA and CH (hence my 2 kits!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.