New white grout turning YELLOW! Help!

Unfortunately, that seems to be the circle of metal life in a pool. Sequestrants with HEDP, phosphonic acid or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic is another brand. That and Jack's are the two top brands. Are you keeping your PH low? Higher PH also causes stains to show up.

We have been keeping our Ph at 7.2, which is fairly low as I understand it. My Jack's is at 20ppm but it doesn't seem to prevent the stains. The thing that's annoying is that our plaster job is kinda streaky/blotchy anyway and it becomes more noticible when stains settle in certain areas.

I read on the Jack's Magic site that if you use their stain remover for iron, you should follow up with The Blue Stuff. But I've read elsewhere that Blue is better for copper and Pink is better for iron. I've been using Pink. It looks like they have the same active ingredient though so I am not sure if it even matters.

There is no doubt that metals in the water is nothing going but annoying. Blue is for start up and pink is the regular stuff. Maybe try the purple stuff, it is for high TDS pools, generally saltwater. But, in your area it is likely that your pool has high TDS and maybe purple would work better.

Have you done, or considered doing, a partial drain to try to get the metal out of the pool? AA treatment, sequester and drain 50% of the pool?

Well we did drain out probably a foot a couple of weeks ago, but not half. Is it even legal to drain out all that water in to the gutters?

The thing is I never even cared how it looked until we re-plastered it and made it super pretty! This must be what really good looking people feel like when they get old and lose their looks lol ;-) Plus I have pool envy from seeing everyone else's awesome builds that look super spectacular. I blame this board for my dissatisfaction :p

Okay well I have another issue with our pool. It seems to have kind of a "scum" on top of various areas in the pool. Like it is clear but looks kinda oily and a bit foamy. The foam looks a lot like it did when I added some algaecide that foamed up, but that was several weeks ago so I wouldn't think it would still be causing issues. The water still looks very clear. If it matters, we left the solar cover on for a week. Our cover is starting to fall apart (we are finding chunks of it in the pool, and it's pretty ripped up)...but I don't know if the cover could cause any issues or not. I am currently running the filter. Maybe that will get rid of it. My CYA is under 30 and my FC was at 3 when I checked this morning (I added more to bring it up to about 5).

I am using regular liquid chlorine (10%). It seems to look a lot better after running my pump for awhile. I did accidentally let my chlorine get down to almost zero...again. I brought it back up but will probably have algae tomorrow. I suck at remembering to add bleach every single morning and evening. I need to bring up my CYA. I am sure I should also SLAM but I'm not going to because it makes my staining come back so badly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.