New WhisperFlo VST and External Control options?*SOLVED*

Mike_25_

Nov 10, 2016
Clearwater
Hey everyone. I recently had a new WhisperFlo VST pump installed. I'm having trouble finding what my options are for external control. I've been searching for days (here, Google, Pentair, etc) and the guy I talked to from Pentair only pointed me toward the $1800 system. My understanding is that I can use the RS-485 cable but have to use the digital leads. But, the Pentair IntelliConnect is not compatible. Am I correct that the panel and electronics are the same as the SuperFlo VST and that the IntelliSync will work so I can use the app for scheduling and control? Thanks!

The IntelliSynch manual https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...lisync/manuals/intellisync-manual-english.pdf says it supports WhisperFloXFVS Pump* RS-485 upgrade (1/4/21) and Note: (*) Digital Input Only. Pump speeds (RPM 1-3) are assigned from the pump control pad. Speed 4 is assigned for QuickClean. See page 12.

The Whisperflo VST is model 011533

The WhisperfloXF are models 022032, 022033, 022034.

Can you confirm that you have Whisperflo VST model 011533 so as to avoid any confusion.

My understanding is that the keypad and drive are the same for both Superflo VST (after Oct 2020) and Whisperflo VST (May 2022) but with different motors and pump housing.

The Installation and User's Guide for both pumps have an identical disclaimer:

Note: IntelliConnect Control and Monitoring Systems can NOT externally control this pump via RS-485. The pump will need to be connected via digital inputs.

You will need to get cable 356324Z which allows connection to either RS485 or digital inputs. So even if the IntelliSync didn't work with the former you could still use the latter connection method for control.

There is also an alternate DIY method for controlling the pump (and much more) using a cheap single-board computer (SBC) w/ RS-485 USB adapter and njsPC. It already works with the Superflo VST and presumably the Whisperflo VST too. Members @tagyoureit and @rstrouse contribute to that project and can give you some guidance if you decide to go that route.

Last edited:
Can you confirm that you have Whisperflo VST model 011533 so as to avoid any confusion.

My understanding is that the keypad and drive are the same for both Superflo VST (after Oct 2020) and Whisperflo VST (May 2022) but with different motors and pump housing.

The Installation and User's Guide for both pumps have an identical disclaimer:

You will need to get cable 356324Z which allows connection to either RS485 or digital inputs. So even if the IntelliSync didn't work with the former you could still use the latter connection method for control.

There is also an alternate DIY method for controlling the pump (and much more) using a cheap single-board computer (SBC) w/ RS-485 USB adapter and njsPC. It already works with the Superflo VST and presumably the Whisperflo VST too. Members @tagyoureit and @rstrouse contribute to that project and can give you some guidance if you decide to go that route.

Yes. You have the correct model number of my pump and the cable I was thinking I need to buy. I would love to get geeky with the DIY method. But, it says it only supports IntelliFlo pumps.

The source shows support for pumps other than the Pentair IntelliFlo like the Hayward TriStar. If you get the comm cable and a cheap USB adapter for your computer I'd say give it a try since the chances of it working are pretty good since someone already got the Superflo VST working via RS-485.

this.valueMaps.pumpTypes = new byteValueMap([
[1, { name: 'ss', desc: 'Single Speed', maxCircuits: 8, hasAddress: false, hasBody: false, maxRelays: 1, relays: [{ id: 1, name: 'Pump On/Off' }] }],
[2, { name: 'ds', desc: 'Two Speed', maxCircuits: 8, hasAddress: false, hasBody: false, maxRelays: 2, relays: [{ id: 1, name: 'Low Speed' }, { id: 2, name: 'High Speed' }] }],
[3, { name: 'vs', desc: 'Intelliflo VS', maxPrimingTime: 6, minSpeed: 450, maxSpeed: 3450, maxCircuits: 8, hasAddress: true }],
[4, { name: 'vsf', desc: 'Intelliflo VSF', minSpeed: 450, maxSpeed: 3450, minFlow: 15, maxFlow: 130, maxCircuits: 8, hasAddress: true }],
[5, { name: 'vf', desc: 'Intelliflo VF', minFlow: 15, maxFlow: 130, maxCircuits: 8, hasAddress: true }],
[6, { name: 'hwvs', desc: 'Hayward Eco/TriStar VS', minSpeed: 450, maxSpeed: 3450, maxCircuits: 8, hasAddress: true }],
[7, { name: 'hwrly', desc: 'Hayward Relay VS', hasAddress: false, maxCircuits: 8, maxRelays: 4, maxSpeeds: 8, relays: [{ id: 1, name: 'Step #1' }, { id: 2, name: 'Step #2' }, { id: 3, name: 'Step #3' }, { id: 4, name: 'Pump On' }] }],
[100, { name: 'sf', desc: 'SuperFlo VS', hasAddress: false, maxCircuits: 8, maxRelays: 4, equipmentMaster: 1, maxSpeeds: 4, relays: [{ id: 1, name: 'Program #1' }, { id: 2, name: 'Program #2' }, { id: 3, name: 'Program #3' }, { id: 4, name: 'Program #4' }] }]
]);

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand the question. Since the Whisperflo cannot use the RS-485 interface with the IntelliConnect you would have to use the pumps digital inputs with the two available relays in the IntelliConnect for controlling up to two speeds.

The IntelliConnect is different to the EasyTouch/IntelliCenter when interfaced to an Intelliflo via RS-485. The former only programs the speeds/times on the pumps controller whereas the latter directly controls the speeds/times. It's a subtle difference that helps to explain why the IntelliConnect doesn't work with the Superflo/Whisperflo via RS-485.

You mentioned wanting an app for scheduling and control, can you expand on that? Can you also Create Your Signature with your equipment to help us better understand your needs?

Sorry. I'll see if I can be more clear. I'm buying the IntelliSync. When I first looked at the IntelliConnect and the install doc for my WhisperFlo VST, I saw the above Note that says "IntelliConnect Control can NOT externally control this pump via RS-485 (the signal)". I took that to mean that this pump can only use the digital interface and not the RS-485 signals. But, in my above comment (2 comments prior), it looks like the IntelliSync does in fact use the RS-485 signals from the WhisperFlo VST (2 screen shots up). So, all the wires other than yellow and green will be terminated.

Sure. I'll add my info. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for adding your pool info. I understand the confusion and even Pentair reps probably don't understand either. I can't say with certainty that you can use the RS-485 interface between the IntelliSync and the Whisperflo VST, but I think it would work if the Superflo VST is supported. Since the Whisperflo VST was only sold from May this year they may not have gotten around to updating the documentation for the IntelliSync. Please keep us posted with any updates.

EDIT: Just read the User's Guide under Pump Speed Settings via RS-485 and noticed the following text which is interesting.

Note: SuperFlo and XFVS pumps using RS485 need to be designated as an "IntelliFlo VS" pump.

The pump selection choices in the Pentair Home App are as follows. It would be better to have the first option named "SuperFlo/Pro VS Digital Control".
  • SuperFlo/Pro VS
  • IntelliFlo VS Pump
  • IntelliFlo VS+SVRS Pump
  • Hayward Digital Control
  • Jandy Digital Control
  • IntelliFlo VSF

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_25_
It's been a couple months of trial and error and calling support. But, I finally got someone at Pentair to help me. It is confirmed that the IntelliSync does support the WhisperFlo VST with the RS-485 interface (green/yellow cables only). As of yesterday, my IntelliSync has 2-way communication with my WhisperFlo VST (NOT 1 way digital like the first support tech told me) and it is adhering to my schedule. It also shows my water and air temp. The thing I was missing was the firmware on the IntelliSync. It MUST be on 1.22 for the Controller Software and 3.40 for the IoT Software. Pentair has to push this to your controller to make it compatible with this pump.

Reactions: HermanTX
I have connected my Whisperflow VS 011533 to Intellisync. It will connect using the digital inputs, but not with RS-485. The pump shows a EC connection, but it appears to me that the Intellisync is somewhat useless with no speed control. Seems it is nothing more than a schedule monitor, and I am really not convinced that even the scheduler over rides the schedule set on the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.