new water

Phut

Apr 12, 2019
Illinois
I recently changed the liner and water in a 24,000 gal inground pool. I tested the water prior to treatment. ph was 8.2, alkalinity 175, calcium just 50, phosphate 300. I treated the low calcium and ph per the pool store recommendations. Today the water is a lovely milky blue. I tested water with results of: ph 7.4, chlorine 0.8, alkalinity 340, calcium 280. Should I add more chlorine or shock and just wait it out till it clears? Should I treat the high phosphate also? Thanks for any input.

Phut, your vinyl pool really doesn't need any calcium added (unless perhaps you have a heater?). So save your money.

I'd say they sold you something you really don't need....stay outta the pool store for the best water.

Ph is easy to fix with Muriatic Acid and PoolMath for guidance on quantity.

What did the pool store tell you to add? Which test kit are you using to test with?

Have you read any of PoolSchool here? Start here--> ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
PoolMath
Recommended Levels
FC/CYA Levels

Maddie

I don't see the most important reading, that is free chlorine.
You need to add chlorine and 40ppm worth of CYA, aka stabilizer, if it hasn't been added already.

If your FC continues to be very low, in reality without CYA it's probably zero now, you risk an algae outbreak in your brand new water.

edit:
I see the FC was 0.8ppm, way too low.

Also, how are you testing? Please fill out your signature. Create Your Signature - Further Reading

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.