New water refill with chlorine still zero

You're missing an important component of the test kit, a FAS/DPD drop-based FC/CC test kit. Trying to use the OTO color test doesn't provide the accuracy necessary to track FC. You can add the Taylor K-1015a, but at ~$35, you might as well get a TF Test Kits refill kit or a new kit altogether.

Reactions: HermanTX
Here is my update. Saturday morning I cleaned my filter , added one gallon 12% LC and 2.5 lb of stabilizer one tablet and the rest I got powder for fast dissolving. Afternoon my FC was 5 and CYA was lower that 30. Saturday evening FC dropped to 0-1. Sunday morning I added 3/4 10% LC (left over form Home Depot) and 1 lb of powder stabilizer. Sunday evening and all day today everything's looks fine. Just checked the following. Only thing is off a bit is TA. Thanks for all suggestions.

FC- 3
CYA-40
TA-60
PH-7.2--7.3
CH-didn't check as my water is new.(was 130 on last week of June)
Since you have a gunite/plaster pool it is important to bring your CH to recommended levels.
Do you have CSI checked to calculate on the PoolMath app? That is a good indicator of how all the chemistry is balanced.
You have done a great job to achieve your results. Happy Swimming.

You're missing an important component of the test kit, a FAS/DPD drop-based FC/CC test kit. Trying to use the OTO color test doesn't provide the accuracy necessary to track FC. You can add the Taylor K-1015a, but at ~$35, you might as well get a TF Test Kits refill kit or a new kit altogether.
I got my Taylor K1001 a month ago so next time I will definitely get TF-100 Test Kit . (y)

Since you have a gunite/plaster pool it is important to bring your CH to recommended levels.
Do you have CSI checked to calculate on the PoolMath app? That is a good indicator of how all the chemistry is balanced.
You have done a great job to achieve your results. Happy Swimming.
I used web based pull math calculator but it was way off on the Chlorine addition but I guess I didn't have my CYA under control. I tried the app briefly but got confused, didn't check in detail. Thanks again(y)

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.