New water, how much bleach?

Tested my water this morning, with the following results:

PH- 7.3
FC- 7
TA- 110
CH- 150
CYA-50

I added a 121 oz jug of 8.25 bleach and will test FC again soon to verify results. It should be 10+ I think. I still cannot get the pool calculator to work with my desktop (windows 7) or my iPad. So I guess I'll go with trial and error until I can get comfortable with a target FC level of 6 by adding about 1/3 jug a day maybe? Anyway, my pool is crystal clear so far, with minimal effort.

Axhammer said:
FC is 9.5 after adding one jug of 8.25% bleach earlier today. Now I need to see how long it lasts, before adding more. Maybe 2-3 days?
We recommend dosing your pool in the evening after the sun is off the pool. That way, every ounce of chlorine goes to fighting nasties and none is used up by the sun.

You need the Pool Calculator for some things, but......

As they said, the avg is 2 to 4 ppm daily FC loss. When dosing your pool, all you need to remember is, for your pool, using 8.25% bleach, 1 quart + 6 ozs will incease FC by 1 (one) in 25K gallon pool.

So, whatever FC ppm you need, using 8.25% bleach, just multiply it by the 1qt + 6ozs. You can do it on the back of a napkin :wink: .

I just tested the FC at 1700 and it was 7.5. The plan is to add another jug tomorrow afternoon, early evening after the sun gets low, so the chemicals can work their magic over night as suggested. So far so good, and the pool is very clear, and working goo

I tested again today at 1700 and FC was 4.5. I added a jug of 8.25 after the sun got low and ran the pump, while enjoying the cool water. I'll test again in the morning to see how much increase a jug boosted the FC. It's looking like a jug every other day (sunny days). Anyway, it seems I'm well on my way to a summer of clear pool water. Like everyone says, test frequently and give it what it needs! Thanks TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.