New water- added chlorine and it turned green

ptintenn

Bronze Supporter
Jun 8, 2015
Bartlett, TN
We recently drained and painted our gunite pool. We finished refilling it 5 days ago but had a pump issue that my husband fixed today so I wasn't able to add chemicals till today. I have been using the TFP method for the past 2 year which has been great and easy. I tested the water and of course the FC and CYA were 0 and the PH was around 6.8 (I am guessing - it was a pale yellow when I tested it and didn't register color wise). I added 2 gallons of bleach 8.25% which I think was to much. Not sure what I was thinking. I added stabilizer in a sock in the return basket and a little while later I added some borax (half of the recommended amount- I figured I would add the rest tomorrow). Basically in front of my eyes the pool turned green. From what I have read some people have had this issue in the past but it cleared up, and others had this happen because of metals in the water. We filled the pool from city water (Memphis) and I checked the city website and the iron normally in the water is .06 which I think is low. So i asking for suggestions of what to do. Should I just let everything stabilize and see if the water clears? I just hope the green doesn't stain our newly painted pool (we did it ourself- what a CHORE). Thanks in advance.

My pool is still clear green this morning. I purchased some HTH Metal Control that should be here tomorrow. In the meantime what should I be doing? Here are my readings from this morning:

FC 7.0
CC 0
pH. 7.0
Alk. 50
CH 40

I just added the stabilizer in a sock yesterday so I didn't take that reading.

There is still a light film of what looks like to be the borax on top of the water so j am scared to add more at this time to raise the pH. Should I wait until I get the Metal Control tomorrow will do anything? Or am I am danger of staining the pool by waiting until tomorrow and should I go buy some Metal Out at a pool store? Thanks in advance for your help.

I had the same thing happen last year to my vinyl pool at startup. After adding chlorine it turned cloudy green - see pic.

I thought it was iron so I did like you and ordered a bottle of metal treatment. By the time it arrived in a couple days the cloudiness and green tint had completely disappeared and the water was crystal clear the rest of the summer. I never did use any of the product. If you haven't yet added the metal treatment you may want to hold off for another day or two - run your filter and it may clear up on its own.

Attachments

• 20160612_120639.jpg
    20160612_120639.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I had the same thing happen last year to my vinyl pool at startup. After adding chlorine it turned cloudy green - see pic.

I thought it was iron so I did like you and ordered a bottle of metal treatment. By the time it arrived in a couple days the cloudiness and green tint had completely disappeared and the water was crystal clear the rest of the summer. I never did use any of the product. If you haven't yet added the metal treatment you may want to hold off for another day or two - run your filter and it may clear up on its own.
:goodpost: Great picture

Well it is obviously magic because I didn't add any metal out and my pool water is no longer green and is clear! Yay! Question since I ordered and have metal out should I go ahead and add it now before I get my levels perfect? We have had problems with staining every year which is why we drained and repainted the pool. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.