New VS pump without automation?

Njenabnit

Bronze Supporter
Apr 15, 2019
Edmond, OK
My family moved into our new house about a month ago and I have been diligent with the TFP testing kit and keeping my numbers in check to great success! My pool has a grand total of 3 pumps that can run. The main pump (Pentair Superflo 2hp), the waterfall pump (Pentair Whisperflo 2hp), and a booster pump for the cleaner. It is pretty obvious how much louder the Superflo pump is than the Whisperflo which had the motor replaced by a century motor a year or two ago. The pool pad is right outside of the master bedroom window, so we can definitely hear it when it is on. I went ahead and bought a bearing and o-ring kit and replaced those on the SuperFlo. I think it maybe helped a little, but not a ton. The seal to the motor was still intact which was great to see, too. Currently, I run this pump for 8 hours a day.

My pool has a Jandy Aqualink PDA automation setup on an older version of the firmware. I'd love to get all of that online to control it from my phone, but that would require replacing the board to get a newer firmware and then getting the wifi adapter, too.

I'm considering pulling the trigger to replace the SuperFlo with some kind of variable speed pump to save both on energy cost and noise. I know with the age of my Jandy automation, I don't have the correct port to hook up the VS controls to my automation (according to this firmware list: https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/Products/Manuals/Sub53_2012329101223.pdf).

So here are my questions:
1) Are there VS pumps that have their own onboard, online controller that would let me hop on the pump from my phone and configure it? It wouldn't be a big deal for me to not have the online part, but if that exists standalone I'd be interested.
2) If I did decide to revamp the automation as well, what are the recommended pumps? I believe usually the suggestion is to match the automation brand to the pump brand and I feel like I hear more about the Pentair IntelliFlow pumps.

Check out the pump I have in my signature. It is Jandy flopro VS pump and it comes with the iQPUMP01 controller (might have to order separately) that enables you to control your pump from the phone. And it is Jandy pump so it can work with your automation system if you decide to upgrade it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.